moto9

May 5, 2004
Fork valving question for JW

Hi JW,
I installed the Race Tech gold valves in the forks of a KXF250, including converting the mid valve to a check plate.
Happy with everything except it's a little harsh on square edge bumps (braking and acceleration)
170lb rider, MX novice/intermediate.
Stock fork springs (.43) oil level at 95mm.
I have heard some discution that converting the mid valve is NOT the way to go, that it pushes too quickly into the progressive part of the stroke causing harshness on chop.
What is your opinion, and what would be the best fix??
Thanks
Dave

Last edited:

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
Dave
No one has answered so I'll help you if you wish. Being a bladder fork there is some contention over wether or not this is a good design. I personally prefer to disable the bladder and allow the fork to function as normal. You can leave the bladder in if you wish and simply create oil flow between the upper and lower portions of the fork. Personally I would remove the white band from around the cartridge and disable the one way valve housed in the spring seat on the cartridge. Once you have done this reassemble the fork and test ride. If you are still having problems then we will address the valving.
Terry

moto9

May 5, 2004
Mid Valve

Thanks Terry,
I plan to break down the forks tomorrow, remove the bladders and re-install the mid valve.
Dave

Top Bottom