Forks just rebuilt, should there be play in the lower tubes?

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Posted this on the wrong forum first. Hope this is the right forum?

My bike is a 1993 RM-250. I just had the seals and bushings replaced on my forks. Also new heavier springs were installed. I haven't riden the bike yet, too the cold here in Maryland. I was putting the bike on the stand and felt a vibration in the handlebars. It felt similar to loose steering head bearings.

I chased the vibration down. It seems like it's coming from the lower tubes. They seem to be moving in the upper tubes. I removed the front tire to isolate each fork tube. I can grab each lower fork tube and move it from the front to the rear and left to right. The movement is noticeable and can be felt. I measured the movement, front to rear, and it's about a 1/32 of an inch.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice this before I put the bike in for service. So I don’t know if it is a pre-existing problem.

Is this sort of fork tube movement normal for an old bike? Are my tubes worn? Will it go away as the new springs sag? Or was something installed wrong during service? I’d hate to see my front wheel fly off in mid-air . Might make for an interesting landing.

Thanks, Steve.

Top Bottom