tennkx

Jan 15, 2005
I have a 2001 KX250 and today I was out riding and noticed oil leaking from both forks at the dust seals. I hit some decent jumps today but nothing huge. Could this be what caused the leak? Is this a easy fix or do I need to send it off. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but I have a feeling I will need some special tools to tear the forks down. I am not opposed to sending them off to be fixed, but I do not know who to send them to and what to expect price wise. I appreciate your input. :bang:

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
tennkx said:
...but I have a feeling I will need some special tools to tear the forks down...
The only special tool you will need is to re-assemble the fork. You will need a seal driver, but in my days of misery I have pulled it through with a pvc pipe. You also need an impact with a 17mm hex socket. There are a few articles on how to rebuild your fork, there is one on mx-tech website and another one on motoprof website.

kamracer915

Apr 14, 2004
There are a pretty good many of people who you could get to fix those. It usually cost around $75.00 plus parts to get them done. I would gladly do them for you for $75.00 but you could most likely find someone within driving distance if you ask around.

tennkx

Jan 15, 2005
Thank you for the offer. I did a search on the site and read about using a film negative to clean out any particles that might be allowing oil to leak out. I did that and am hoping that was all that was wrong. If it leaks on the next ride they are getting rebuilt.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
This method of using the film or anything to attempt to clean out the seal is controversed because it also pushes alot of dust and debris inside the fork and on the bushings. Also, the amount of oil lost is still missing and will affect overall performance. Personnaly I would never do that whatsoever.

ps2112

Jan 27, 2003
I don't use film negatives I use a business card and it works great. I have also started stuffing cotton in between the wiper and the seal to have one more barrier for foreign matter to get stuck in before the seal if I'm riding in muddy conditions. I read where some pro mechanics will pack that area with grease.

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
After you get it fixed, try "packing" waterproof grease under the wiper. I did it to my 03 CR when it was new and the seals still haven't leaked. I clean and repack them a few times a season.

Miedosoracing

Feb 22, 2005
If you have them rebuilt. Make sure you bleed the air out before you ride every time, and make sure you don't leave your bike tied up over 3-4 hours. If you have to leave it tied up, bleed the air out while it is tied up. Although DO NOT forget to bleed them again before you ride, because it will be negative pressure in the tube since you bleed them while they were tied down. Good luck

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Miedoso...

I don't honestly believe that leaving my bike tied up for even a year will make my good seals leak.
I have left my bike tied down in the trailer for weeks at a time with the forks nearly bottomed and I haven't had any problems whatsoever. One of the local dealers leaves the show bikes tied down (forks compressed) to the trailer almost year round... I haven't seen any leakage there either.

I believe that the only way a seal is going to leak under pressure, is if it is already damaged.

Miedosoracing

Feb 22, 2005
I am not here to argue with people, just giving my insight. I have experienced longer lasting seals by doing certain things other than others. It is all a matter of physics. If you have air built up in your forks, you push down on them, it is called air springs. Your seals have an edge that is sharp . If you take 5 psi and push towards a rubber seal for an extended period of time, it will push towards the outside. Either which way, the last time I had to change fork seals is a long time. I just don't worry about it. Again, each person can do what they feel comfortable with. I was only suggesting my way. ;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom