FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
You seem really dedicated to your electrical theory, so start checking an replacing stuff. You'll never get if right if you don't do something.

tcarn09

Jun 15, 2006
Fouling Plugs On 1997 CR 125

I tried running a hottter plug, an 8. It seem to run pretty good and i think maybe even a little longer. But it felt like it was breaking out sometimes. But it still fouls them.
Any suggestions Thanks.

Last edited:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Yes, I have one final suggestion, do a search here on plug fouling and see what everyone else has been told. I am guessing that you are pretty young, so I will take that into consideration, but you don't listen. Have you even checked anything but the plug? That's a band-aid, not the cure. Jetting is not as scary as it seems, in fact the actual work is pretty easy. But you seem unwilling to even check it out. It is the absolute first thing you should have checked. You seem to trust the people that "replaced" your jets. But did they change anything, or just return it to stock? Stock isn't always right. Also, the weather affects the mixture, you sometimes have to change the jetting for that alone. I also notice that you recently posted in a thread where someone on a 125 was having a similar problem to yours. Have you taken a look at that thread lately to see what people are telling him?

tcarn09

Jun 15, 2006
Yes i have checked that out but they tell him the same thing, jetting. I should check it out but im not sure what to do a i am young. I dont want to screw anything up though, to make it any worse.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Dude - it's probably the jetting - I'd guess 95+% likelihood in my limited experience.

Dad's got a 94 CR125 (which I'm pretty sure is the same generation as yours) that did the same thing for years. He always carried two extra plugs and a plug wrench with him everywhere he rode.

His CR generally ran strong - UNTIL it fouled the plug.

He took it to a local mechanic who changed the jets based on riding it - not based on the stock settings. The bike rarely fouls plugs anymore - to the point that he sometimes doesn't even bring the plugs and wrench with him when he rides.

The link below is specifically for KDX's, but the principles will work for any bike.

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/carbtuning.html

If you're afraid of making it worse, just write down what the settings are now so you can go back to them if you need to.

JohnStarry

Jul 18, 2006
your cylinder and powervalve could have alot of built up **** in there you need to either lean your mixture to like 50;1 for like a tank see if that helps or rip your head off and have it cleaned

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
JohnStarry said:
your cylinder and powervalve could have alot of built up **** in there you need to either lean your mixture to like 50;1 for like a tank see if that helps or rip your head off and have it cleaned

50:1 will lean the oil ratio but richen the mixture (fuel) and could make the fouling worse if not re-jetted (especially if its rich now...)

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
If you are running around at full throttle most of the time and it cuts out / fouls at full throttle then take out the main jet and get another one one size smaller and try it .
If you ride bottom range up to 3/4 throttle mostly then raise the clip one notch on the needle and try it . Dont change more than one thing at a time and write down what you do , so you can go back to old settings if you need to .

Top Bottom