Found a Bike! '01 KDX 220, Si or No?

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
I found a 01 KDX 220 locally and the guy is asking $2200. It has a bunch of new stuff: gold valves, carb professionally redone (bored, modified slide, etc). It almost sounds too good. The guy tells me it has "bend" in the rim where he hit a rock really hard on a downhill, and that the rear sub-frame was bent, but he just bent it back. Anything sound fishy, or is this a steal?

"I have done lots of work to it as well. The frond suspension has been rebuilt with stiffer springs and gold valves are installed. Drivetrain is all new. Renthal bars with guards and front light as well. I've polished a lot of the parts I put on as well. Pipe and silencer are in good shape. Bike is very clean and fast. I had the guys at RB carb designs bore it out, rejet it and modify the slide plate inside. "

"The sub frame in the back was bent a little but I just simply bent it back to get things to line up. The only thing I did not get a chance to replace are the rims. There is like one minor bent in the rim but is barely noticeable when you see it.(Hit a rock going too fast downhill)"

Opinions please!

RBSOB

Jun 24, 2004
$2200 would be a good price, but not a steal for an '01 here in the NE. Sounds like some good ''go fast" mods, so it may have been raced or ridden very hard for 4 years to get that bent rim and sub frame. Check out the overall condition and try to compare a few others before settling on 1. There are usually lots of used KDXs on the market.JimG

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
nearly everybody I ride with has a little ding in at least one of their rims. It's mighty rocky where I ride. I guess that's why they call them the Rocky Mountains. I would be more concerned about the bent tail, but that might not be a huge deal either because the swingarm isn't really connected to it. it just kinda holds the seat and fender up. I personally am more comfortable buying a race bike from a guy that knows how to take care of equipment, than a playbike from some dirt-brain that thought maintenance was putting new gas in the tank. Compare prices for similar bikes in your area. Sounds like the guy is being honest with you, and that's worth a ton right there.

Good Luck,
Mike.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Colorado Mike said:
than a playbike from some dirt-brain that thought maintenance was putting new gas in the tank. .
Wow the dirt-brains by you put fresh gas in? :cool: Around here they dump in anything they find in the garage :yikes:

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
I wouldn't worry to much about a bent sub frame, loop it out once in 1st gear and you got yourself a nice cusomized sub frame it's not that hard to do.:)

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
The frustrating thing about this area is that there are probably tons of bikes that people would sell, but don't advertise. We don't have a good Photo Ad system in this area. I have seen '97s go for over $2k. in near by areas. My budget is fairly low, I was hoping to keep it under $1800, but I would make it happen if it was the right deal. From what I know the guy bought it new in '01 and it was his first bike. He got married a year and a half ago and has not ridden it since. I will go check it out tomorrow and see what he is willing to do. I check the blue book and it shows $2665 for that bike, but I don't know what Kelly know's about dirtbikes anyway. I just want to avoid extending myself for something I will have to put money in. I would rather buy an older bike that is ready to ride.

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
I talked to the guy a little more, and found out that he hasn't ridden it much due to 2 injuries during the time he had it. It sounds like a good buy. Question: It has the original piston in it, how long before I am going to have to do the top end? I have read that the stock piston should be replace fairly quickly, how do I know when it needs it?

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
The stock 220 piston is a grenade. If you buy that bike swap out the piston with a wiseco, cleanup the kips valves and you'll be good to go.

-Maurice

Top Bottom