Found sand In my oil filter!!! Know what??

snowjw3090

May 12, 2004
Took the filter off my yz450 and at first it looked fine then I took a pick and scrached in the creveses and found sand not alot but it's still sand :ohmy: I took my air filter off and no sand I run outerfilters and lots of oil so then I took my crankcase vent off and thats were it is came from. So my question is. Is my bike toast?? it starts and seems to run fine I re routed the vent to the airbox and put a small car crankcase filter on it and oiled the foam. So did I do the right thing with the vent and what do you think my engine is like?? Also I forgot to clean my strainer will sand go through this or should I clean it.

twoofeach

Dec 15, 2004
After I ride in the sand, I usually throw away my air filter. I don't look at it, examine it or anything else. I know it's toast and don't think twice. That doesn't seem to be your problem. I know of at least one tuner who tried an experiment with the vent tube to see if it would suck in sand. He didn't find any evidence of that happening. I have seen a few YZ450/426 owners take the vent tube and connect it to the carb side of the airbox with a pvc coupler they bought at a hardware store. I wouldn't be too concerned. I don't think Yamaha is in the business of selling $7000 vacuum cleaners.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom