Four Stroke KTM vs. Two Stroke?

DCox

Dec 29, 2003
I am narrowing my choices down to either a KDX 200/220 or more recently I have been introduced to the fine option of a KTM EXC. I am about 5'6" and about 185lbs.

My question is what advantages are there to the four-stroke model of the KTM over the two stroke model. I would like reliability and will be trail riding as well as competing in some HS and/or enduros.

Thanks in advance.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I'm 5'6" too(but I'm only 13) and the 2 stroke(KDX) works for me. I would think a big bore 4 stroke would be to much bike in the woods. I like a light flickable bike. The KDX has 4 stroke torque but with a faster reving motor and no major power hit. I've heard many people like the 2 stroke EXC's just as much as the KDX. The 2 stroke EXC's are like the KDX's except they're built with higher quality parts and newer technology. You'll pay more for a KTM for this reason. The KDX is still a competitive bike when modified. Are you looking at just the 200 or the 250 and 300 too? Some people like the sort of 'doggy' power of the 4 stroke. In my veiw there arn't many advantages for a 4 stroke in the woods compared to a trail 2 stroke. A 4 is slightly heavier and give a larger bike feel. The 4 stroke power is drawn out which isn't particulaly what you want for the woods esp. tight trails. Some 4s run hot and overheat. It depends on what power response you like.

SERPA

Dec 25, 2002
I've got a 520EXC and a 200MXC. I like both bikes, but for the woods the 200 is much better. It's way lighter, and turns great. The 520 has the power and gearing, so it gets a big nod in the open desert. I'm 5'7" and both bikes are tall for me. I'd recommend the EXC 200 for a better selection of gearing, as the MXC is close ratio, and limited on gearing changes for better top speed due to a tall first gear. I'm pondering changing gear boxes in my 200.

Top Bottom