css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
I took a fall 3 months ago off a 2 story metal roof and fractured my heel. I didnt need any kind of surgery pins or screws. Everything is there just broke in 2 places, 1 is at the joint with ankle. Any1 that rides ever had this happen to them? I'm worried about the foot pegs and so on. The DR said I might have a slight gimp from here on out but every1 heals diffrent. I was all positive till he told me about the gimp then I started thinking I might not be able to ride/race. I know I'm lucky that it was just that and no back or head injury but I'm just alittle spooked.

ELF

Sep 15, 2004
Familiar story!!!I was a foreman that fell off a standing seam metal roof also.I did not break any bones ,but I did tear some tendons in my ankle and foot.Dr. told me it would have been better if I broke my foot or ankle.This did not sound good! I ended up having major surgery on my right ankle and foot to repair these tendons.They had to cut some bone out of my ankle and foot and repair 3 tendons.I was off work for 11 months.The Dr. did not think I would be able to return to a sheet metal career.Needless to say after surgery and many months of physical therapy I did return to my career.That was about 2 years ago.It takes awhile for you to get back to "normal" it did for me anyway but remember I had to have surgery.I dont seem to have any problems riding my green beast. Hopefully you will recover well also.It is a long road to recovery though so be patient!! The best thing I could tell you to do is dont over do it.After my 2nd cast came off I could only be on my feet for about 2 or 3 hours a day. When your foot starts to hurt, take a break. No pun intended.Good luck and keep us informed.The Doc told me I would have a limp too. Idid for awhile but now my foot is almost like new.No limp at all.But thats my case.GOOD LUCK!!!

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I too broke my heel about 10 weeks ago. 11 screws and a plate later it's all back together now. I just got the Doc's approval to use it 100% yesterday. It still hurts like the devil and swells by the end of the day. Limp you said?.....Yea, I got that too. Prolly have it for a while. According to my doc, I'll be 100% in 6 months. So far so good. Don't worry about the riding thing, even if you limp, that dosen't mean you can't shift or brake. Good luck and get better, YZ165

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I tore up a bunch of stuff in my left foot and dislocated a toe 2 years ago. I was on crutches for a month and had pain for more than a year. At 2 years I feel pretty close to normal, but still have some pain if I go overboard. It doesn't effect my dirt biking though. Sidi Raptors give me plenty of support and comfort. You'll be fine if you just take it easy. The emergency room doc was a little optimistic on recovery time. I was riding again after a couple of months, but I didn't ride real aggressively for a while.

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
Thxs for the replies guys, sounds like I'll be rideing again after all. Your answers really put me at ease. Everyone looks at me funny when the first question I ask is when can I ride again? When can I race? so on. They just dont get it.

ELF

MY KDX 220 R

Feb 9, 2005
Elf, as you can see it is all a case of mind over matter.
You shouldn't mind, and others don't matter.
No - I too have had some injuries to the point of possible amputation!
" You will not play rugby, ride, squash, etc etc etc", yes I did limp, but promptly broke the other leg and now have no limp, just the knees are at different heights and I'm about 1" shorter.
Focus and as mentioned don't over do it, but keep working on rehabilitation.
Good luck,

04kdx200

Mar 30, 2005
Well, I'm at home with a tib/fib break, and I got told I would be "good-to-go" as soon as I could walk, but on another note, my brother broke his foot/ankle on his bike during a race last year(cased a double on an orange woods bike) and he got 2nd in a 4 hr enduro last week.

Top Bottom