kawi35

Jul 20, 2002
im looking for a good frame paint to paint my bike with so is dosent chip off and it lasts long? im painting it my self wit a air brush for painting cars. and how should i prep the frame so i can paint it? i dont have acess to a sand blaster.

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
I'd take it down to the metal with a good stripper, then seal it and prime it and use a good quality acrylic urethane such as PPG Deltron, or Dupont Imron. They are spendy, but worth the cost. Go to an auto body supply store. They'll hook you up.

B

biglou

I've heard good things about appliance spray paint. I think it's an epoxy, but not sure. And hey, you can always go for that cool "Avacado Green"! :D

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Even though it is a pain, look in your phone book for someone who does powedercoating. Almost all large cities has someone who is into dune buggies. This is who you call.

Odds are, they will have the color in stock. Powdercoat express in Salt Lake City Utah is excellent. They coated a Suzuki Dr 350 frame for me for 150.00. This included blasting and filling all the threaded areas. The frame looked like something off of a show Harley. I had previously bought it used on E bay for 10.00, if this tells how bad it looked. It was very durable and easy to clean. You almost could not hurt it. My YZ will visit these guys this winter.

The key to this is being able to pick a color that is in stock. Otherwise, you have to buy 5 lbs of powder.

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
I repainted my KDX sub frame, and some of the frame. I just put some strip-ez (strips anything) on it, wiped it down, and sanded it.

3 layers of auto primer, 15 THICK coats of ENGINE BLOCK paint, and 10 or so coats clear coat.

If you paint it, use eng. block paint. It is really durable and invinsible to gas and oil.

I did it all in a day, costed 30 bucks tops. :)

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
One thing I did not mention. It was easy to use off the shelf spray paint and make the frame on my old Dr look good. Two or three cans of the PJ1 paint was all that it needed.

I was happy enough with the results until the carb overflowed or the gas tank was overfilled. Even engine cleaner. Any time those products were used around the paint, it would peel it off. This is what made me look into the powedercoat.

Top Bottom