Frame painting and stripping paint from swing arm

mike rasponi

May 20, 2001
okay i have a '99 KX250 and i and i want to do two things, A: i want to strip the paint from the swing arm and have it polished to a shine. what would this cost me? what would it require me doing? do any of you know were i can have this done? Does it need to have a type of sealent or paint applied to the metal after it is stripped? oh and the other question is, to paint the frame would i need to remove the engine? im thinking a nice YZ blue paint for my frame, polish the swing arm should match my chrome PC pipe nicley and the all black plastics should top it off

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
strip the whole bike down. take out every thing.get the frame sand blasted,and then powder coat it. coating around here is 75.00 canadian so thats about 35 bucks in u.s funds, about 20 bucks to get it sandblasted. believe me , ive done every frame on my bikes and paint does not hold up. powder coating is 10 times more durable. check out my rm frame in the member gallery.

Kaw_Boy_5

Apr 18, 2001
The swingarm polish is really cheap and easy. Just sand it smooth with aroung 400 grit wet sandpaper and then I used an aluminum polish to get a beauty of a shine. Don't mean to question your tastes but a YZ blue frame on a KX? I picture a very ugly beast.

mike rasponi

May 20, 2001
i decided to not get the frame powder coated, but i am going to get the swing arm polished, i have a polisher, but what is "wet" sandpaper? how much labor would his be? would it be easier o just have the swing arm bead blasted or sand blasted?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
wet sandpaper is sandpaper you dip in water and sand whatever you are sanding, wet. The water keeps the paper from loading up with the dust you just sanded off. Works really well. If you rey this with regular sandpaper, all the "sand" will come off and the paper will tear up.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
On a KX, the paint on the swingarm is very soft . All you need is a can of aircraft paint stripper from Wall mart. Put the stripper on leave set and take a stiff wire brush and brush the pain off, rinse with water and you are ready to polish. If you gan get a high speed polisher you do not need to wetsand. Just start out with a coarse compound, buff a couple times to remove the sanding scratches that will be in the aluminum and then buff witha fine polish to make it look like chrome. I have done a bunch of them, really is easy if you have the right stuff :)

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I just finished polishing my swingarm and 400grit is way to harsh if you want to get a shine out of it. I used 600, then 800, then 1000, then 1500, then finally finished with 2000 grit. It looks like a mirror. I guess it all depends on what you want it to look like when its finished. Wet sanding is just using the sand paper when its wet, nothing to it. Plus when your using the high grits, the water helps get rid of the removed aluminum, so your not gouging the smooth surface with the tiny little aluminum particles. I'd then apply some clear coat so your finish isn't all ruined the first day you go out :) Good luck.

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
If you go with blasting don't use sand use a plastic type media or something like Walnut shells. I've been told by a couple of different people that do powder coating not to use sand.

demographic

Jan 21, 2002
Hucker. What type/brand clear coat are you planning to use cos there is a bloke on visordown.com that is wanting to do his swingarm and needs a few more pointers. Cheers :D

Top Bottom