Fredette RT versus MX-Tech

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I'm ready to drop some Christmas money on my 01 200.

Can anyone tell me the difference between valving with Fredette RT Gold valves and what Jeremy will do? For those of you who had Jeff or Jeremy revalve, can you testify? How much did Jeremy charge?

Can anyone tell me the difference between Fredette porting versus Eric Gorr? Can anyone testify. Has Eric done alot of KDX porting?

I'm am an old 'C' class motocrosser who just bought my first woods bike. I want the magical 4 stroke low end (maybe like what I have read about the RB carb mods) with a hard hitting mid-top. I want to run MX on Sunday (light MX) and kick some KTM rear on the single trail stuff on Saturday. Optimistic for a 'C' class rider:)

I have saved the money to build it, so they will come? Next step, learn how to ride the woods!

I would love to hear from some of the big boyz on this forum, the searches are just a bit scattered. Help me out Dave, Fishead, Accutemp, Cancarvr, etc....

You guys appear to be much more knowledgable than the local tuner who want my money..... Please help me build this dream machine..... Thanks and Merry Christmas All!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I doubt that many people have used both but maybe...

for me I used MX tech and they did a nice job, answer their phones and are willing to give service after the sale. I plan to send them my boingers every off season for a freshening up.

Fredette can probably make your engine sing and is more familiar with what works considering he's pretty much responsible for them being where they are today. I'm sure E. Gorr can do it too and just as good. I would think Jeff may be able to help make it fast and keep it together too. Beware when yiou start porting you need to consider the clutch, bottom end bearings, rod bearings as they all have more stress placed on them with more HP and RPM's.

My $.02 on this is:
1. Do the suspension
2. Get a pipe (FMF or PC whatever your flavor)
3. Get boyesen reeds
4. Do the carb if it's a 220 (RB mod)
5. Jet it
6. add hand guards
7. add a steering stabilizer
8. put good tires on it
9. add a silencer (your call)
10. mod the airbox lid
11. Grease it
12. ride it

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Thanks for the advise Fred T. I have a 200, FMF Rev and TCII. Acerbis pro rally 2 handguards, works connection armor, IMS wide pegs, renthal alum bars, boyesen power reeds, ceet stiff foam, and one industries graphics package on the way. Ordering WER tonight.

Did Jeremey do your forks? Does he have a special setup dialed in for the KDX bumpsticks? Did you get one stage or two stage work done? Midvalves?

What about the RB Carb mod? Why bore when you can purchase new carb for around 2 bills anyway? It sounds like the results of the larger bore carb tames the bottom end with minimal top end loss. Local tuner asked why I had a rev pipe yet wanted a bored carb, as if the combo was stupid...

Thanks for responding!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
UM...

can't answer yout valving question...I don't know! :scream: I had stiffer springs put into the front, and I'm going to get even stiffer ones yet, (have 40's and going with 42's) I had both ends revalved. Soaks up the nasty little crap much better and handles the big hits too, but not seroius MX stuff probably. Jer did do the work.

The RB mod bores and adds the divider. You get crisp throttle response, better over rev and lost nothing on the bottom for grunting around in the mud and slime. In your case it will lose some rev on top and add more bottom and throttle responce...your call. A 220 comes stock with a 33 MM carb so the 36 bore adds air flow and the divider turns it into like a 2 bbl carb. I've decided tio go for the RB carb on mine this winter. I'm stiffening the front springs and adding a rebound adjuster on the fromt forks from MX tech. I think I'll hard anodize the shock too while I'm at it.

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Thanks again Fred T. I think I will hold off on the carb and porting until I actually ride the stock setup for a while. Heck, I only have an hour on the bike as of today. However, I'm pumped and I need to spend my saved up money before the wife gets other ideas for the house! :cool:

acutemp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 4, 1999
RTL,
Suspension questions are some of the toughest to answer as everyone has different opinions as to what is best. Both FRP and MX-Tech do excelent work, it is more of a preference of piston and valving configuration.
If I was going to send my suspension to someone to have reworked it would probably be to Jeremy as I trust him and belive in his product.
I like to do my own work so I revalved my kdx myself using the gold valves and for someone that wants to try different setups it is still a good option. I would say though that if you go with the GV's consider using a different fork valving setup than race tech recomends. I have tried their setup as has C Dave and some others here and it is a 2 stage stack that IMO doesnt work as good as it could.--Dan

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
Suspension mods on KDX's

RTL;

The KDX suspension was pitiful on my '01 bike. The $$ I spent With MX Tech was by far the best spent on the bike, IMO. Now it's balanced, and I have the correct spring for my weight. The associate here in NC is great. I'm not sure exactly what he did other than revalve and replace springs, but it rides like a Cadillac, very comfortable.

Also, I'd do the basics before I got into porting etc. although I read these things are great. I just think you might like the bike okay with new pipe, reeds, airbox mods.

Good luck!

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Thanks guys! I think I am going to send them off to Jeremy and let him work his magic despite the high costs. This is my dream bike, so what the hey...

Could anyone give me examples of weight, riding style and setup you prefer. For example, I will be riding single trail and light mx. I want plush plus anti-bottoming on the medium size jumps.

Thanks guys, your advice and comments are premo!!!!

Top Bottom