Fresh oil coming out my exhaust

dirt_demon420

Mar 16, 2004
96 XR250R

People used to call me 'The fogger' because my bike smoked soooo bad. I tore it down and took the head, jug and pistion to our local 'rip you off because you dont have a Harley' bike shop; unfortuantly the only place in town the would do the valve seals and hone the cylinder on a motorcycle engine.

I got the head back and it didnt even look touched! but I still forked over the cash in hopes I was wrong. So I get the bike back together and it will only idle for a few seconds and when I hit the gas it died. So I rebuilt the carb. Now its runs, but I smoke 10x worse than before just sitting in the driveway and fresh, unburned oil was leaking out of the left exhaust port. I looked over the book I dont see anything I could have done to make this issue worse. I had someone come double check my vavle adjustment and its in spec.

Does it sound like I was ripped by the machine shop? Or is there anything else I should be checking?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If they used assembly lube on the cylinder head it will smoke a lot and take a few minutes to clear. It should all burn off after a few minutes of running though. If it continues to smoke there a few possibilities:

- bad valve seals
- second conpression ring installed upside down. The second compression ring is more of an oil scraper than a compression ring so if it's upside down it won't work properly and it will let a lot of oil by into the chamber.
- oil ring and scraper rails installed incorrectly. This happens all the time even to experienced mechanics.
- too much piston to wall clearance from excessive honing will keep the rings from sealing properly and allow oil by as well.

If it continues to smoke after you've run it for a while then it is defintely time to take apart and see why.

dirt_demon420

Mar 16, 2004
The bike shop was supposed to change the valve seals. I put it all together with the factory Honda mannual and made sure everything matched the pic's. But I suppose I could have gotten the rings in wrong - first time I've ever worked on a bike. Thanks so much for the ideas, I'll be checking my rings soon (Im getting real good at pulling the head at least hahaha)

Would a big bore kit change the valves/seal size? The previous owner had a big bore kit done but I dont have any specs on it. I told the machine shop it had one but maybe that didnt get relayed to the tech.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
dirt_demon420 said:
Would a big bore kit change the valves/seal size?

Even if they used oversize valves the seal size would still be the same and be able to use the standard Honda seal.

morbidsmurf

Oct 23, 2003
I had the same problem with my xr250r. it was smoking like a sob after i droped in a high compression wisco. it turn out that i had a defect oil ring on my piston. i talked to a guy who works at the local bike shop and he said it is fairly common with the high compresson wisco's. Where do you live. i would be willing to give you a hand if you live close by. I live in upstate New York.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

It's pretty common for people to incorrectly install the rings on a new piston and cause it to smoke (I've done it myself), but there is nothing wrong with the ring design or materials on Wisecos that would cause them to smoke. Guys in bike shops routinely blame products to cover up a lack of mechanical ability on their part. There is nothing new about that. :)

morbidsmurf

Oct 23, 2003
Yeah the mechanic was nice enough to come to my house help me put in the motor. He also gave me a hand putting the rest of the bike together. he also came to my house a second time to put in a new oil ring. he is a really nice guy and would recomond to any one in upstate New york.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…