Blue4LIfe

Apr 22, 2005
I just had a Hothead special done and also replaced the piston, ring and cam chain myself while re-installing the head. The top ring gap is aligned at 12 o'clock, the 2nd is at 6 o'clock and the oil rings are at 3 and 9.

The jetting was fine and the bike ran well before the rebuild, other than very poor starting, which I attributed to a worn out top end due to the age of the bike, a 2002 YZF-250 with an 03 cam in it.

Info on problem:
Very difficult to start
Very poor performance (won't wheely in first gear)
Bike will fire briefly, then die
Seems to start better cold than warm

Info about the bike
Fresh oil, antifreeze and a new clean air filter with NoToil. A/F was done 2 days before the bike was started. Brand new gas after having initial problems, I wanted to eliminate that.
No clunky noises when spinning it over by hand with the plug removed.
Fresh plug (had to be replaced because it got covered with the fresh oil that I lined my cylinder with, after multiple attempts to start, this has not reoccurred).
I checked the valve adjustment, it's ok. Admittedly, this is the first time I've checked it, but the 0.10 fits in there ok and .014 is a tight fit.
Cam chain tensioner is in the released position

Here's a picture of the cam timing. Note that there are 12 pins between the top dots on the intake and exhaust cam and that the engine is on the "i" in the TDC mark on the crank.

cam_timing.JPG

Thanks

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It looks like you didn't pull the slack out of the cam chain before you installed the exhaust cam. As a result it looks like both cams are retarded one tooth. The relationship between the cams is ccorrect but the relationship to the crank (TDC) looks off in the picture you posted.

Make sure that the cam chain tensioner is operating correctly and fully retracted. If it is I would suggest pulling the cams again and resetting everything, making sure you pull the slack out of the cam chain and install the exhaust cam first. Once you have everything back together and the tensioner installed turn it over by hand a few times and verify the marks line up correctly with the TDC marks.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Just be patient. Once you get a feel for the process it's not so bad, but in the begining it can be sort of a pain in the butt.

Blue4LIfe

Apr 22, 2005
Fixed !!

Sho nuff, the cams were correct wrt each other but were off one tooth compared to the crank. My son and I switched it around and it's fine now, runs great and starts great.

Thanks a lot.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Cool. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. :cool:

Top Bottom