black oil and blue smoke out exhaust, clutch won't disengauge?

Jun 7, 2006
hello. I recently bought a '95 KX125. The bike will shoot out black oil and clouds of blue smoke from the exhaust at anything over 1/8 throttle. At idle to 1/8 it seems fine.. little blue tint, no oil. I'm running at 32:1. Original owner had pilot and main jet richer then stock. I replaced both to stock specifications. Would bad float adjustment cause any of this? Should I reduce my main jet size by a big increment? I also seem to have nowhere near the power I should. Is this crankcase oil coming out of the exhaust or oil from the gas mixture? I'm kind of on a budget. Also, engine will idle ok, sometimes will rev a little up then go back down, but when shifter into first it will lurch and stall. Only if I give it gas and shift at the same time can I keep it running. Any ideas? It's just frustrating when my friends are out riding and mine barely runs. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Last edited:

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
my first step would be to jet the carb accordingly.

the sound of the blue smoke could be bad crank seals,(not really hard to change) which in turn could result in a clutch not getting enough oil and thus making it stay really hot causeing the plates to stick. just a thought.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i am under the impression green is the only color that you have to split the cases on to change a seal, hope that aint it

got fresh gas in it?? checked the needle jet ? clogged carb hoses?

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
if you went back to the stock jetting your prob still to rich on the jetting. Stock jetting is normally rich, try dropping it down a few sizes on both circuits and see what it does for ya

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
it has nothing to do with the gas mix, between his 32:1 and 40:1 it wont make much of a difference, its either jetting or a rh crank seal

Polamer

Sep 27, 2005
Start by jetting your bike according to your altitude and temp (use chart in manual), this is a good starting point. I would also run it at 40 to 1 or a little more. Could your clutch just need some adjusting?

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
sorry - certain crank oil burns white lol
has it everhad a new set of rings?
yes it does matter your premix,if you have too much oil you have too much oil!!
they are jetted rich from the factory
what oil do you use?-try 40:1
klotz burns clean!!! and is verry good oil
do you have to keep adden crank oil?? if so your oil seal is most likely bad
check your reeds while your fixen!! ,i know what it is like to be on a budget !!!
but it is best to do it right the first time this bike should rip!!!
my kx 80 will pull the front wheel up in 4th!! if jetted right your plug should be tan colored (or golden brown)
don't forget about the center case gasket!!!!
mine was letting oil in from there!!!!!!
i made a gasket from a thin roll of gasket material ,and sealed it no problems since
good luck!!! -jason

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Wow, j32...
So much quality information in one single, short post!
You should think about writing a book.

Curious though why you didn't list your KX80 in your bike list?:think:

xcracer72

Uhhh...
May 28, 2006
hey........ props for the 40:1 it make a big difference in face the difference between 32:1 and 40:1 is about 8 percent. now lets talk about that for a bit. "black oil" or "spooge" as i have seen it so affectionatley called on this site is a sign of running too rich. but it is difficult to diagnose until you provide more information. it is FAR EASIER to dump your old gas and throw in some 40:1 than it is to tear out the motor to check crank bearings. exaust all of your cheapest options first

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
if he needs to jet the bike, there is no reason he needs to throw in 40:1 if he has 32:1 already mixed up. I run 40:1 as well in my rm250 but 125's I feel should run 32:1 anyway to keep them lubed up better. As long as the jetting is correct with 32:1 or 40:1 the bike shouldnt blow out a ton of spooge and smoke, although some bikes will no matter what. And to top it off, 40:1 is actually a richer mixture when it goes through the carb circuits as 32:1 is a leaner mix as it passes through. Jet accordingly and it will solve your problems unless there is other failures going on with the rh crank seal or something else.

Jun 7, 2006
Thank you all... I guess I might try switching the gas mixture and trying the rejetting again. I'll pay attention to the amount of crank oil after riding it a bit, and if it gets bad, I guess I'll have to take a look at the crank seals. Where (around) are the crank seals? Your not talking about crankcase seals correct? Once I know what I'm lookin for I'll find it in the manual, but I just wanted to get a rough estimate, because I get the feeling that might be my problem. Thanks again.

Top Bottom