front brake problem on kdx200

chabat

Oct 11, 2004
I have been riding my 2000 kdx 200 more than my '88 kdx 200... the brakes had frozen a bit on front, I got it loose. I want to change the brake fluid... But the small phillips head bolts on the fluid reservoir won't budge. Now they are stripped. Drill it out? Any suggestions? Bugger on stripped bolts :(

EYY

May 22, 2010
You could drill the heads off the screws and then use some pliers to remove the remaining studs but i would only use that as a last resort.

The first thing I would try:
-Remove the master cylinder assy from the handlebar
-rest the master cylinder on a block of wood (to avoid damaging the underside of the cylinder)
-find a punch which is the same size as the head of the screws
-Give each screw a sharp tap with the punch and a hammer to force and deform the metal from the screws inward towards the middle of the screw
-Grab a phillips head screwdriver, which you will also hit sharply with a hammer into the screw

Once you have done this, don't remove the screwdriver. Try to push down into the screws and undo them. The shock from this can allow the screws to become alot easier to undo, as often corrosion is a problem here.

You only have one go at this method, and it may or may not work depending on how badly damaged the screw head is. If this does not work and the screws are badly damaged i would suggest the method of drilling out the screw heads is the only option.

zeerx

Jan 25, 2003
Get a small sacrificial flat screwdriver. Grind the end so it sharp like a chisel. Now with hammer in hand hit the screwdriver at a low angle on the screw head in the direction to loosen it. If that dosen't do the trick.......blast. :bang:
Good luck.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Very common. Another good approach is to get one of those hammer driven impact wrenches from your local harbor freight or auto parts store. $9 or something. Darn handy things to have around, and they will probably pull those screws right out.

I don't recommend easy outs for serious bolts, but have had good luck with them on screws like you are faced with also.

HRDROKN

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2010
EYY said:
You could drill the heads off the screws and then use some pliers to remove the remaining studs but i would only use that as a last resort.

The first thing I would try:
-Remove the master cylinder assy from the handlebar
-rest the master cylinder on a block of wood (to avoid damaging the underside of the cylinder)
-find a punch which is the same size as the head of the screws
-Give each screw a sharp tap with the punch and a hammer to force and deform the metal from the screws inward towards the middle of the screw
-Grab a phillips head screwdriver, which you will also hit sharply with a hammer into the screw

Once you have done this, don't remove the screwdriver. Try to push down into the screws and undo them. The shock from this can allow the screws to become alot easier to undo, as often corrosion is a problem here.

You only have one go at this method, and it may or may not work depending on how badly damaged the screw head is. If this does not work and the screws are badly damaged i would suggest the method of drilling out the screw heads is the only option.

I would go this route with the addition of using an impact driver with the proper bit!!! This has saved my $$$ many times!

;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom