Bezoar

Apr 23, 2009
Recently purchased a 2004 200 and was going to service the front brake. Unfortunately, the phillips head screws holding the top of the master cylinder are stripped, unable to remove with an impact screwdriver.

The master cylinder bowl cannot be purchased separately, it has to be with the entire assay for $160.

I am afraid if I try to drill it out it will will damage the threads in the master cylinder bowl. A small drill/tap will probably break off - at least that is my experience in the past with small screws,

Thanks in advance!

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Very common problem. I have not had to do this on the kdx (yet) but have on two other Kawasaki's, a Buell, and a Yamaha.

Drill off the heads carefully. You want a drill that is almost as big as the outside of the stripped screw shaft.

Drill a little bit at a time, until the head comes off, then stop immiately. The master fluid reservoir cover will then lift over the remaining shafts. Once that cover is off, you have relieved some strain on the screws, and exposed enough of their shafts to get needle nose vice grips on them. They then usually come out easily.

Then either order new screws from Kawasaki, or go get a close match at your local hardware store. But use anti-seize this time.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
When tightening the new ones just snug them up.

In the future, if you have a Dremel you can use a cutting wheel to make a slot in the screw and then use the impact driver with a slotted bit. I HATE drilling things.

cash_62

May 13, 2009
A machinist friend of mine taught me a trick for stripped phillips heads. If you take a center-punch and a hammer, VERY LIGHTLY tap straight in on the OUTSIDE of the screw head. Once you've punched a dimple into the screw, turn your punch on an angle inside that dimple and begin to tap such that it puts impact force in a counter-clockwise direction on the screw head. You may have to make another dimple every half- or quarter- turn on the screw head, depending on parts surrounding your screw. It takes a little time, but it's worked like a charm EVERY time I've used this method. Also, you don't have to worry about drilling or slotting something. This method even worked on a stripped-out stator mount screw on my 200 that was bathed in thread locker.

Bezoar

Apr 23, 2009
I am somewhat short on tools and skills. I was able to use a small drill - drilling outward from the stripped center of the screw-head. I did this on 2 side 180 degrees apart which made enough of a slot to use a flathead screwdriver. WD40 soaked in for a while which probably helped also.

Top Bottom