heintz571

Oct 3, 2002
Is it just me?? My kdx220 front end seems very "unstable" or just wanders in mud/sand,......any suggestions on improving bike or my riding technique? (novice class hare scrambler, more often just fun woods rider)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Can try sitting up on the tank, puts more weight on the front end.. ANother thing is too raise the forks in the tripple clamp.. On my bike, the forks stick out 12mm of the triple clamp.. Hope this helps you,
Rick

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
hi dude ...my findings were these issues, front tire not the greatest,needed stiffer springs,a pinch more preload than stock.if i'm in the sand i crank my comp clickers stiff ,makes a diff .u can play with the tubes in the clamps but a trade off ...how the bike turns vs straight line performance,ie ...head shake

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I hated the stock front tire, replacing that along with the correct fork springs made a huge difference in my bikes handling in mud and sand. Also make sure you have no side to side play when moving the tire with your hand else you need wheel bearings.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I find this as well when at semi high speed on sandy roads. I just learned not to fit it and just kinda "flow" with it. If I tried to fight it, thats when I start slowing down and getting out of control. More of a riding tip that has worked for me.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Wandering is what KDXs do. Wondering what they'll do next is what KDX riders do. Just about any bike will wander in sand and mud -- the KDX just greatly exaggerates it. You really need to analyse just exactly what the front end IS doing. On hard pack, the KDX front end tends to "wash" or understeer -probably caused by insufficient rebound damping. On "sticky" surfaces -mud & sand, I find that the front end does just the opposite -oversteers. Because of the bike's steep steering angle, whenever the tire "bites", the front end takes off in that particular direction. The rider tries to correct, the tire "bites" in a different direction and off we go again - and it's not in a straight line. IF this is what your's is really doing, stiffer fork springs, less rear preload , forks fully extended in the T clamps and rider a bit to the rear should help. Unfortunately all of these things tend to increase front end "wash out" as soon as you get on hardpack and higher speed surfaces. It appears that there is no easy fix.

Brains

Mar 28, 2002
Rickyd

Tell me more about your folk setting in the clamps? I would like to hear about your experiments. 12mm is a long way.

E mail if you want

Thanks
Mark

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
This is what I hated about my KDX the most (really the ONLY thing I hated). Robcolo is right, new front tires (Grab a Michellin M12 or S12) and you won't be sorry. That almost eliminates the wash out. They can add to the over stear and dive though... On more than one occasion the front could grab and dive in tight turns and I've bruised my ribs on some handlbar add-on. A good chest protector helps there too :)

But for me (6' 220lbs) even with stiffer springs it was just too squirly for me speed. 3rd/4th in the woods just plain had me skeered :D

What fixed it for me was riding a setup YZ 250 :D I now own that bike.

MD

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
heintz:

While the kdx might not be the best handling bike in the world, it's certainly WORSE if it's not setup right.

Has your sag been set? Robcolo mentions changing it, but maybe it's never been set in the first place?

It has to be. That's a must-do.

Technique? Rider position is a big factor. It's not 'one size fits all' though. Depends on whether your hi- or low-siding. Tend toward the hi side? Move up on the seat. Tend toward the low? Move back.

Generally, you'll want to move up into the saddle going in, move back going out.

Front tire air pressure is important.

In sand, turn your fork clickers in a good two clicks for starters.

Rebound fork adjustment? Yeah...jeremy can give you that!

'Give' being a bit of a misnomer....;)

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Check for mechanical causes. Worn bearings can contribute big time. I find that tire pressure is *critical* to my KDX's handling. 14psi and things feel squirrelly, but 10/10.5 psi and it's stable and confidence inspiring. As CC said, proper suspension setup will pay off.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
Like stated, a better front tire ( play with your air pressure) will certainly help. And having the correct springs in your forks. But I just recently put a wer on my bike and it makes a big difference in the front end. I have a lot more confidence in my front end. The front tire doesn't dance all over the place anymore, well worth the money imo.

BB007

Apr 4, 2002
I wanted my front end a bit stiffer but was that a mistake. I had the stock springs and instead of 5wt oil I ran 7wt. The bike didn't handle bad but I thought I could make it better. I ordered 21-22# springs from Freddet racing and went to 5wt oil. I have to tell you this really messed my bikes handling up. The front end would not stick plus it danced all over the place and the bike had no sag with the new springs plus they were too stiff for me. I go about 205# and my first time out on this set up was the worst ride I ever had. I bleed all the air pressure off the forks and had the compression adjusters backed almost all the way back. We ride mostly in eastern Pa. the Marionville or Rocky Gap trails which are quite rocky. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of places to really wick it on and we ride pretty aggressive. Guess what, I put the stock springs back in and the 7wt oil with the oil level at 100mm. People may say this is crazy but this set up really works for me. Its like instant riding zone. Anyway this bike was made to race around on the trails not for a motocross track like most people try to make it do. Also some good tires will make a difference with about 10-11 psi. I'm not sure if this helped anybody but it's just how I feel. Good luck

heintz571

Oct 3, 2002
Thanks, all. I'm gonna try a new front tire first.....anyone have an opinion on Pirelli MT 16 rear vs. Michelin M12? I ride in Tenn and KY, mix of mud and rocks....thanks

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
I'll swear by the michelins... We ride in Ohio and KY mostly. S-12's are awesome when it's slimey, and the wet mud in Ohio is often confused with Wheel Bearing Grease. M-12's are my next best choice, they last quite a bit longer, maybe as much as twice as long.

I don't think they make an M-series that fits the back of a KDX (or maybe the front, it's early and I havn't downed enough coffee). The StarCross tire is nearly the same. I'd go out an look at which I have on my bike now but I can't.

If you call Sage (often in the forums but havn't seen him in months) he knows which is which. Most of the guys I ride with also use the Michellins now. Mostly M12's they ride in TN as well.

-MD

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Try appropriate rate fork springs to balance the bike front to rear, it will help immensely.

Try running your sag around 90mm.

Look to a better front tire.

David

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
What Dave said.
Steering damper. Get one.
Remember to keep your weight back and on the gas in sand.
M12's Mmmmm......good donuts...

"a good sturdy pair of fork braces shoudl help"

Huh?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom