doughodgdon

Jul 15, 2004
I bought my 2002 CR125 used about a year ago. As soon as I started riding it, I noticed that the front forks seemed too stiff. I adjusted the clickers and did not feel much of a change. I then replaced the oil with lighter oil, and that helped slightly. Thinking that I still had a problem, I broke the forks down to see what I could find, and I noticed one thing that troubles me.
When I have the caps off the forks, and the springs out, the dampening rods seem to go down at different rates if I let them fall on their own, or if I push them. One seems to fall faster, and one is slower. It is very noticeable. I have adjusted the clickers on the bottom (I am not sure if this would matter or not) while performing this test, and it does not change the result. Does anyone have any ideas?

minutz

Feb 6, 2000
Do those forks have steel or aluminum rods? If they are the steel rods check for spots of rust on them which can tear up the cartridge seals.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
doughodgdon said:
I believe they are steel. But I don't see any rust.

I take decent care of the suspension on my older YZ 250. I have always changed th eoil and kept in fresh seals.

My forks did the exact same thing before the last rebuild. I opened them up. All the way this time.

It was quite interesting. The oil that I thought to be so clean was not. There was a piece of metal..maybe bb size...stuck between the valving washers. I remeoved this and the forks started acting normal again.

Hopefully yours is this easy!

binder929rr

May 1, 2004
fork springs might be for a heavier person and the valving might be for a heavier rider. both of those would make a huge difference.

i would tear the forks down completely and check it all out, and maybe put fork springs for your weight in and see if that helps.

Top Bottom