Front fork shim mod, many thanks!

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
Hi guys,
just a quick but big thanks for those who mentioned the front fork mod' whereby 2 shims are removed from the valve assembly on the fork bottom to make the front less harsh on the faster hits.

I 'raced' my 220R at the weekend in my first proper enduro a 3 hour affair, with some real technical bits and I did this with a back so bad I can barely walk 200 yards (did a facet picking up the KDX 2 weeks prior!)....but can still ride :ride: I thought, well I have paid the entry fee and so may as well do the siteing lap if nothing else but I ended up doing the whole event. OK, I only finished 14th in class so no tropheys but I don't think any other bike could of been more suited for me that day ....she got me thru everything running as sweet as ever, the grunty short shifting lump 'n soft suspension helped no end with my aching back and creaky ability and saw me thru the rivers of mud that drowned oodles of other bikes, slippery climbs and fast open, cut up 'n hard as concrete trails. She didn't tire me out and almost cosseted me, with the front now less 'fussy' and plush we did the whole 3 hours without stopping!
I noticed the front was so much better on the fast hard hits and could nail it with the best of the pumpkins, Beta's, TM's, Huskies and other exotica without too much embarassment, also when coming to the usual 'bump on the crest' of steep climbs that sometimes made my KDX front end almost bounce off the hill face she was far more able.

again many thanks for the free mod', best 60 minutes I have spent working on the bike, if you have the time and a few tools you must give this a go!

A brilliant site and brilliant members, a slap on the back to all and one
:cool:

Last edited:

QLD_KDX

Aug 18, 2005
No worries mate, that was my original post and I thought it was pretty good myself - too good not to share! Glad you liked it!

Cheers
Andrew

Top Bottom