SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
My fork seals were leaking a bit on my 04 kx125 forks...

so i decided to install new seals, i got the seals instaled, everything is put together right (i think), and i added the oil... 652 ml of belray 5wt... instaled the spring, tightend every thing up, put the cap on, and the fork feels really soft, not anywhere near right... i can put all of my weight on them(~180lbs) and they just about bottom out... there is maybe 2 inchs or so left to go.

i think maybe i did not add enough oil... also i dont like this belray crap i have, it seams cheep and nasty...

i used a maxima quick mix container to meausure out the oil...

does anyone have any sugjestions?

btw, the book i got all of my info from is for a 03, not an 04... did kawi change any suspension part between those years?

thanks

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
yea totally different froks from the '03's the '03 is the kyb "rubber bumper/elastormer" style for like a YZ's used to be. The '04 is a KYB bladder fork it took like 90 mm's of oil I never bother'd rebuilding mine I don't mind paying for the parts and alittle cash to a local mechanic I know last time he only charged me $68 to rebuild them oil change new bushings/seals. I like the race tech oil.

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
ok... thanks

i will check out if the fluid leval is any dif from 03-04... by habbit i just looked at the service manual i have(it is for a 03) but i will go try to find the actual owner manual

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
ok, it says 105 mm, with an adjustable range of 70-120mm

How are you guys getting these measure ments in mm?
I see that there is a "special tool" that they say to use, is there anyway around that?

Would i have to readjust all of my clicker setings?

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I'm going to take a shot at this, someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

the fork oil level is measured with the forks completely compressed (use a tie down strap if your bike is on a stand, or wooden blocks etc) with the springs out.

measure from the top edge of the fork tube to the oil. Insert your measuring tape or whateveryou are using a bit further than you need to and then subtract. A 6" steel ruler works well for this.measure towards the middle of the fork because it isn't straight up and down.

I like to go with the oil on the low side, then when you test ride if it's bottoming, add oil through the bleed hole 10cc at a time both sides with a syringe instead of turning in your clickers.

If you didin't get the air bled out of your cartridges, the measurements won't be correct.

there are 25.4 mm in an inch, or mm times .0394 = inches.

Top Bottom