Rod Grove

Feb 21, 2001
I bought my 98' yamaha WR 400 used off a freind of mine. He road it one season and ive road it one season. Ive had the front forks off to the local dealer 3 times on one side and 4 on the other. Both keep leaking. Everything is stock. I dont know if they replaced the bushings or not, but i am tired of getting one ride out of a set of seals. I am 6'3'' 230lbs. I mostly trail ride and try to race 4 or 5 hare scrambles a year. Ive been told to send them off to be revalved and stiffer springs to make the seals last longer. I am a slow to medium B rider. MY cousin is an A rider, and saids to get bushings and seals and he can make them last. He saids bottoming out once in a while should not make them leak. What should I do? I will send them to someone if it will make them stop leaking. IM not that unhappy with the suspension response but a hair stiffer would not hurt. Need expert advice~!!!!! Rod

------------------

BrentBlain

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
check to see that the forks are in good conition. If thier are deep scratches it can casuse it to leak no matter how many times you change the seals. I don't really see how revalveing and changing the springs are going to help it leaking, maybe help it handle better but i would attack the leaking problem first. They shouldn't be like that, thier is a problem. Alot of times if i ride though mud my seals leak and to fix them i run a small feeler gauge though them and it fixes it.

-Brent

------------------
00 CR250
My webpage
last updated 02-25-01

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
There are a few possibilities. 1. The stanchion tube surfaces may be scratched, dinged, or worn out (visually inspect chromed surface. 2. The stantion tubes may be bent (check with a straight edge). 3. There may be remnant damage to the internal surfaces if the forks were runout of oil during the first seal failure (visually inspect ALL parts, recomend having suspension expert do this). 4. As mentioned above, the bushings could be loose thus allowing excess lateral movement.

------------------

Rod Grove

Feb 21, 2001
Hey guys thanks for the response. I dont feel any scrathes on the tube. When I transport I tie my bike down loosely, The same way I have for years. Monkey Butt, whom I bought the bike from said he had frequent problems with the forks also. He showed me the feeler gauge thing but can still only get 1 or 2 rides Out of them. I dont think they have ever been out of oil because he is very meticulous and bought the bike brand new. But any thing is possible, im not ruling out anything till I find the problem. Can you guys recommend a good suspesion person, who will check every thing and set them for my weight and riding ability. I thought of doing them myself but dont know what size springs to get or if I have to revalve also. Any response is greatley appreciated. Rod

------------------

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
Better check those bushings they could be loosing their teflon coating and pieces could be getting stuck in the seals, making them leak. The bushings can go out quickly without warning.

Rod Grove

Feb 21, 2001
Well I sent my suspension to Jeremy. Cant wait to get them back. If I get them back in time, im going to put it to the test this sunday, at the casey Ill. hare scramble. Ill let you all know the results. Rod

Top Bottom