Front Tire

MassKDX

Dec 11, 2001
My stock front tire seems to be digging into the dirt around corners. Is this caused by a horrible design in the tire? I ride in variable terrain from soft sand to hard pack then tracks to trails with roots all over the place in New England. What would be a good all around tires for the KDX that you KDX’ers have used? I might as well replace both tires because the rear has no tread and the front seems to have this horrible digging into the dirt problem I described. Any suggestions would help me out in a purchase of new tires.:cool:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
The stock tire stinks for New England conditions. Get rid of it and replace it with a Dunlop 755, Michelin S12, or IRC VE35. They are all tires that work well for the Northeast. Run the pressure about 10 psi.

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Copy that good buddy...

Originally posted by BRush
The stock tire stinks for New England conditions. Get rid of it and replace it with a Dunlop 755, Michelin S12, or IRC VE35. There are all tires that work well for the Northeast. Run the pressure about 10 psi.

I'll agree on the Dunlop 755, and I've heard the Michelin S-12 is good too. I can tell you that the Michelin S-12 on the rear is the cats pajamas baby.. It's screamin' good, boy howdy.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Re: Copy that good buddy...

Originally posted by Fred T
I can tell you that the Michelin S-12 on the rear is the cats pajamas baby.. It's screamin' good, boy howdy.
In Michigan sand, yes, but not in New England rocks. The S-12 front is okay in rocks, but there are better choices.

jimicarl

Aug 7, 2001
michelin

don't have any idea aboot eastern conditions..., but if yer anithin like this here wet & slimy, rooted up & mossy deep woods with trees across the trail & dirt the consistency of wet clay..., the S12 is your man!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Re: Re: Copy that good buddy...

Originally posted by WoodsRider

In Michigan sand, yes, but not in New England rocks. The S-12 front is okay in rocks, but there are better choices.

Woodsy
Read my post again, I said on the REAR the S-12 is waaaaay cool. Not the front. Cool?

scotth

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
I have had good luck using the Michelin M12 front and S12 back in my riding area (North Carolina, Mud, clay and rocks) :)

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Re: Re: Re: Copy that good buddy...

Originally posted by Fred T
Woodsy
Read my post again, I said on the REAR the S-12 is waaaaay cool. Not the front. Cool?
Freddy,
I realize that and I was talking about the S-12 REAR, which works great in sand and mud, but the knobs chunk in rocks (New England sits on top of one massive rock). The S-12 FRONT, while also good in mud and sand, does not provide predictable traction on hard surfaces and washes out easily.

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
as far as front tires i love the pirelli mt 44.i use it everywhere.cleans out good in mud,and works well enough on hard pack too.

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
I like the Michelin M12 for all around use.
On the 520 I own it seems best with 14lbs pressure.

jimicarl

Aug 7, 2001
michelin again

yup. good note that the S12 front will will wash on the hard. it's a good winter/spring tire (wonderful, while it's still sharp), but NOT a summer/fall tire (at least, for wet/muddy oregon coast range).

i'll run the S12's 'till late spring or early summer when it's getting dried out pretty good, then switch to a symetric intermediate terrain tire. tried a set of 756's last fall (with everybody telling me they were s--t), and found them to be very good tires (as long as they don't see a lot of mud).

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Okie Dokie then Woodsy

"I know it's only ROCK and roll but I like it"....just not on an S-12 apparently!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…