ezandeve

Jan 10, 2004
Hi there kdx'ers
I thought I'd mension this broblem out here before I start pulling my motor (98kdx200) to bits and see what U guys/girls have to say.Let me say before anything else, that my clutch is correctly adjusted according to my manual, Right...

1. Attempting to change into 1st (or 2nd) from a neutral standstill will usually result in a very horrible shuddering "chlunk" but does not actually engage (ever when it does engage it still sounds and feels terrible) or the bike will just stall. Its like the clutch isn't disengaging enough but it still does the same thing even when I adjust the clutch cable right out

2. And the thing that really gets me is while out riding, trying to change from 1st to 2nd usually ends me in neutral, a real pain in the ass when hill-climbing where it happens more frequently (ie..under load)

Despite these problems, I think that the kdx is a brilliant trail bike but I'm starting to lean back towards the quality of honda xr's again (400R) as my previous bike was a 81xr200 prolinker and that thing was flawless despite it's age.
Overall, the kdx (kawasaki) just seems like its enginering tollerances and quality are a bit on the rough side

Anyways...I hope someone has some answers out there for me.
Thanks all
Ez

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
Sounds to me like your clutch is not fully disengaging. Are you running some kind of funky oil in it? I've always just run regular motor oil, 10-40, with no friction reducers in it. I would think the friction reducers would cause the clutch to slip though, not give you this problem. I would say take the clutch apart and check the springs and plates for wear.

HTH,
Mike.

GrassMaster

Dec 22, 2003
I know when my 220 is Cold and I crank it in Nuetral(SP) and pop it down in first ill make a noise. The noise is kinda like something stripping and then it jerks. But after it warms up its fine for the rest of the day.

My last bike was a '96 XR400, Believe me you dont want one.......

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004
Whats wrong with a XR 400 GrassMaster? I always thought they were a good bike, but yet I have never had the pleasure of owning one or even riding one. Please explain

GrassMaster

Dec 22, 2003
Ok Im not saying its just a horrible bike. I loved the reliability of it, it was great. It was also SUPER HEAVY for me. To heavy on the steep North Alabama Trails and not enough speed to keep up on the South Alabama Dirt roads. After riding my KDX I realized how slow that bike was and how it had no power on the top end. But now the bottom end power would make you lose you breath a sec after you hit the gas. It also sucked horribly in the sand of mud which the KDX goes thru with no prob.

The XR400 Kinda reminded me of riding a street bike with knobby tires on it.

Just my 2 cents......

bake

Sep 20, 2001
sounds like clutch problems to me

Before taking the motor out try opening the clutch side, remove clutch plates and check for wear (grooves) on the clutch basket fingers.

It they are grooved you can file them smooth once. The grooves stop the fiber plates from operating smoothly.

Let us know your findings.

bake

est142

Dec 30, 2003
sour luck on the problem ez, i would be ticked off too. there are very few people who complain of kdx trans. problems however.might be something simple. try a search on that topic.

kdx 200 and xr400 are two totally different bikes. xr carves a planted and deliberate path with no sudden changes possible...sometimes thats good, and sometimes thats bad.it is large and heavy, but it is very well behaved if you are 6ft 180lbs or bigger, and strong enough to pilot it. the kdx rips up,leaps and hops to wherever you point the bars. light and easy to toss around, but easier to get tossed off of, than the big xr. evenly matched in overall speed and power, in my opinion.

yortz

May 16, 2004
I agree with est142 on the xr 400. Having owned one as well as a 650, the 400 is heavy. But i think that is what makes it so tractable in rock and roots. It is not the choice of the more seasoned riders but never the less honda sells all they make. At least in this area of wa. state.[ I think the 450x may be in mix by fall.]

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The angle of the actuator lever is also correct? That may require addition/removal of shims inside the clutch assy. (under the cover).

Bike new to you or first owner? Maybe the conical springs that are part of the oem assy have been removed. That and/or worn fingers (like bake said) may be part of the problem.

Certainly oil type can be a big deal.

My '00 has thousands of miles on it. One clutch plate replacement and that was more for GP than actually needed.

Reliability? The kdx has that is spades.

Notwithstanding any one particular horror story.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I have one of the same problems with second popping into neutral. I think this is because I am not using the clutch and second does not fully engage. I now have a big scar on my chin to show for it. It was not smart of me to shift in the air and take another jump, knowing this problem existed.

xtremekdx

Feb 21, 2004
another thing to check is your shift lever. is it tight, or a little loose on the shift shaft. I also recommend replacing the stock shift lever with the moose shift lever. my stock lever would bend every ride. i also had that same problem with the clutch dragging. check the basket fingers.

roost on.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom