yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
fuel inside carby overflow hose?

hi.
i know this may sound a little odd or like a stupid question but i am asking for a reason.
i went for a ride today and as i was warming up the bike while gearing up, i noticed fuel inside the top of the carby overflow hose just below the float bowl but where the hose is cable tied to the others and kinda bends a bit. fuel wasn't dripping out and didn't come out the bottom of the hose but i haven't noticed this before, a few people have told me it's not even meant to be in that hose at all and not meant to leave the carby but im not sure if i can believe that or if it's true or not, so ill ask on here, is that normal to have a little bit of fuel inside the top part of that hose?
carby hasn't been touched at all.
it's a KTM 450 EXC 2004 for those wondering, it's had a full rebuild around 45 hours of riding ago and valves checked and replaced.
Bike does run and idle fine, it's just that im not sure if that is normal or not for it to be actually going into the overflow hose itself.

Last edited:

Apr 30, 2007
I had a possibly similar issue with an '08 CRF150F. The float or float valve was sticking, allowing too much fuel into the car, causing the excess fuel to flow out the vent/overflow tube. The bike ran fine, but usually emptied the fuel tank between rides if you left the gas shut off valve on.

Top Bottom