Fuel Options for 2001CR250R...Filling the Frame?

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
A few years ago I saw an article in one of the main dirt bike mags where a company outfited an aluminum framed CR250R with a kit that allowed the frame to be filled with fuel. Also, they made a skid plate that utilized the area below the engine cases and between the frame rails to carry more fuel. It sounded kinda like a wacky idea, but if it woks out ok, it would be nice to gain the extra fuel capacity without having to resort to a oversize tank which seems to ruin the nice egros of the CR. I dont have the mag anymore and do not remember the name of the company. If anyone has any info I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I think there may be a thread on Thumpertalk about modifying a frame for this - CR450, but the concept is similar. It's an old thread - couple of years ago I believe. You get about a 1/2 gallon.

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
I remember the article and it was in Dirt Bike magazine. One thing I really remember is that it wasn't a company selling a kit, but a project bike. the article stated that there would be no kit for sale but that if you "call the guy, he'll tell you how to modify your CR." I also remember that you couldn't make quick pit stops with the bike because you had to let the gas seep into the various areas of the frame and skidplate. Oddly enough I saw the bike in the local cycletrader about a year after the article came out.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Well that helps a lot. I guess I remembered a few things wrong:O If I could carry enough fuel for a 2.5 hour hare scramble race I wouldn't need to make a fast pit-stop so that would be OK. If you happen to come across the guy or any related info please pass it along. I don't have a tig currently so I will not likely be doing the skid plate thing, but if I could fill the spars and stretch the stock tank a bit with a heat gun I think I could get the range I need.

Thanks,

Josh

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
There's a guy here on DRN, Smitty, who had this done to one of his CRs a few years ago. I remember seeing it at Cooperland. I haven't seen Smitty on here lately, but you might try sending him a PM. His real name is Mion and he lives in Oklahoma. He races in the Expert class of the OCCRA.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom