whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
First of all I've learned so much about fuel that I was never aware of until I came to this forum...Amazing how your eyes can be opened!

Well, I tried the search function and I haven't been able to find anything so please forgive me if my questions sound a bit elementary...

Is there a way (websites) to find out fuel specs for different brands of pump gas ? Does anyone know if there is a brand of pump gas that would be superior to use in a modern 250cc two stroke (like if you are unable to afford race gas or would like to use a 50/50 blend of pump and race gas) ?

Is it possible to add MTBE with 93 octane super unleaded with favorable Results and if yes what would be the correct amount to use per gallon and where can you obtain MTBE ?

One more question and it may sound somewhat rediculous...Are there octane boosters available that can work effectively in eliminating knocking (if that is your only goal) and is safe to use in motocross bikes.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I can't answer all of your questions, but I can say that Amoco Ultimate is about the "least worst" of the common pump fuels. 

I've been running Sunoco Standard race fuel in my '03 CR 250 and with crisp (but not "ragged edge lean") jetting I have almost zero spooge even with slow woods riding.  This is the first bike in years that I didn't immediately need to silicone the pipe/silencer joint to prevent dripping of spooge, and this fuel actually has a pretty high end point, so mx oriented fuel (B32 etc) would be even better.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by whitesands26
Is there a way (websites) to find out fuel specs for different brands of pump gas ?

www.vpracingfuels.com www.racegas.com www.p66race.com

Does anyone know if there is a brand of pump gas that would be superior to use in a modern 250cc two stroke

Pump gas varies too much from load to load and by the season, so no.

Is it possible to add MTBE with 93 octane super unleaded with favorable reults

No, and at $10 per quart it isn't cost effective anyway.

One more question and it may sound somewhat rediculous...Are there octane boosters available that can work effectively in eliminating knocking (if that is your only goal) and is safe to use in motocross bikes.

Maxima and PJ1 have octane boosters that work well in curing minor knock issues without any major side effects.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
were is a good place to get this gas? I am in the kansas city area, and guess i'd have to get out to the race track with it's odd hours to buy gas....

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
Originally posted by motometal
what's wrong with cleaning filters in pump fuel?  I wear gloves of course.

the petrol will expand the foam pores, reducing the filtration ability. Also, it can break down the adhesives that hold the filter together.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
hogwash!  I have never had a filter come apart at the seams when washed in gasoline.  Think about it, most bikes get a little spit back thru the carb anyway, so the foam and glue MUST be gasoline resistant, as well as resistant to the solvents (used as carrier agents) in the filter oil.

are you quoting the No Toil ad?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
what's wrong with cleaning filters in pump fuel?

Regularly breathing hydrocarbon fumes is a really BAD idea, not to mention the VERY REAL fire danger associated with the behaviour. :silly:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Rich, what the hell happened to NUTEC's website? I can't get in any longer. Gotta be a VIP, or what? I wanted to look up the specs on my PRO-MX fuel (again).

http://www.nutecdivision.com/

:ugg:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I'm guessing someone broke something during a web update. ;)

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Rich, what about all of the fumes breathed when you are mixing fuels?  or just filling up a bike with gas for that matter?

fire hazzard, sure, under the right conditions, but there really isn't any ignition source.  Eating a bunch of baked beans could also create a very personal fire hazzard of sorts. :flame:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Rich, what about all of the fumes breathed when you are mixing fuels?  or just filling up a bike with gas for that matter?

fire hazzard, sure, under the right conditions, but there really isn't any ignition source.  Eating a bunch of baked beans could also create a very personal fire hazzard of sorts. :flame:

If you are foolish enough to expose yourself to the health and fire hazzards that come with washing a filter in gasoline, all I ask is you keep doing it in Iowa so I don't have to watch your dumb-flaming-ass running through MY driveway. :silly:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
ok, help me out then, assuming I don't wish to use no-toil products, what do you suggest I use?, and how to dispose of whatever you suggest after I use it?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
motometal, Why are you against the No-Toil products? Have you tryed them? I like them a lot! :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Shocknut
What do you do with the gas you use now?

LOL, nicely said. :thumb:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Thank you, rich, for calling me dumb instead of intelligently debating this topic. :moon:

I don't believe my question was answered yet?  I have heard enough bad about no toil to go with the good, don't wish to go down that path right now.  Are you guys here to help, or just going to beat me up for using gasoline to clean a filter?

Also, just in case I decide to continue being an idiot and using gasoline, while wearing gloves in a well ventilated area, I am still trying to understand the hazzard?  I don't smoke, and in the summer time with the humidity we have here in Iowa, I really don't think static electricity is a factor.

I'll bet if we took a survey, there would be many other "dummies" like myself, many of them not in Iowa.

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I'll bet if we took a survey, there would be many other "dummies" like myself, many of them not in Iowa.

You are right about one thing, I'm not about to debate a topic as stupid as this, I don't care how many dimwits choose to wash things in gasoline. :silly:

If you can't recognize the dangers involved all the hand wringing in the world on my part isn't going to convince you. You've taken this thread far enough OFF TOPIC, now go annoy someone else. :confused:

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
I worked with solvents alot (Bodyshop) I guess I could have been called superman by a few or ironlung.... I have reached a sensitivity level from the years of overexposure. I am 43 now and have been doing office work 90% of the time for the last 10 years now at my shop. I was actually more cautious than most and even most of the guys that work for me now. Respirator, gloves etc. I did use them alot. It still got me. I can only stand a few minutes with it before I get the sweats and dizzy. Same goes when I am around the fuel too much as I get flushed and have to walk away.

As far as another hazard..flame. It happens. Papertowel or rags soaked in gas or solvent have been known to ignite I have friends that have seen it and have scars to show it.
Being in the shop I saw my life at 25 years old flash by. We were starting a 70 or 71 Corvette 454/425HP model. A buddy had a milk jug (plastic gallon) full of gas to prime the carb. He primed it and walked about 6 foot away and set the jug down. It was the end of July, Hot and humid. He went to crank it and no go. I noticed the positive wire from the coil was off. As my buddy was still cranking it, I said OK I got it. I touched the wire back on the coil. A small spark occured. I mean small. Well the SLOOOWWWW MOOOTIONNNNN started. The Vapor trail fron the jub still lingered and it ignited . We watched it go back towards the jug. My bud grabbed the jug and tossed it away from us (dumb) as we headed some 30 foot to the only door out. I remember the wall of flames and the fire ball on our backs as we exited the door. Thank god no one got hurt.... We got lucky as the fire ruptured a 1 " plastic pipe that was from the well head. Water began to spray and that helped until the fire department came.

Just another wierd story that suggests Nah it won't happen to me.....

Getting back to the air cleaner wash issue. Yes there are better ways....

NOTOIL as of late has been a solid product, first year or two it had issues but if you don't like it move on. I hate Belray's thick blue glue of the past and now the water thin blue goo. I have a few tails to tell on the blue goo too. Lets move on. Twin Air has a new Bio Product and Cleaner, I think Moterex will market a variation of this also. I am sure there are a few others on the horizon.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Thank you, rich, for calling me dumb instead of intelligently debating this topic

I'm sure he would have tried, had he not already been aware of the fact that you were coming into the conversation unarmed. :moon:

So, if another 'dummy' like yourself jumped in front of a bus, would you follow? :moon: :silly:

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Moto, Mike makes a very strong arguement as to why you should always avoid very low flashpoint solvents where ever possible. If you look in your bikes manual, it will specifically say "use only a high flashpoint solvent" or something similar. This is primarily for your own safety, not the bikes.

I know lots of people that use gas to wash filters, parts, etc. I've also seen guys smoking while spray painting, welding next to paint mixing areas, grinding and welding in fibreglassing area. I even had one guy showing me how he could but out his cigarette in laquer thinner. Solvents are dangerous, people just don't get the message all the time until they experience it first hand.

Before going to the NoToil products, I used a 5 gallon pail (preferably metal), with a tight fitting lid. Fill it with a high flash point solvent like varsol, or even kerosine. Wash filters happily in it (in a well ventilated area). The dirt and solids will sink to the bottom, so that the next time you use it, you'll have clean stuff on top. Keep the pail outside and use it for several months before having to dispose of it and replace the solvent.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Motometal,

Ultimately it is your choice, I say do as whatever makes you feel happy. This particular debate is nothing short of smoking,or helmet and seatbelt laws. As Rich pointed out no amount of argument and pleading will change your mind and you must know that the hazards are real.Obviously you are not ignorant to the dangers if, don't smoke,wear gloves and do it in a well ventilated area.

Take note though that if you are a person who would sue the world if long term exposure catches up to you or a fire engulfes you I personally would like to flog you with a frayed throttle cable. Just as much as I would like to flog smokers suing tobacco companies,fat people suing Mcdonalds etc etc.

Ultimately it is your choice and you are not ignorant of the hazards so if Darwinism happens to rear its ugly head,don't blame others and be prepared to take full responsibilty for your actions. And don't mind us if we happen to just shake our heads and mutter"I told you so"

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom