Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
From what I've read here on DRN if you switch from pump to race fuel you will have to lean your jetting across the board. I would try it first and if it seems too rich then break out the brass.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
You don't need race fuel unless you have the high compression. Your bike will make less power on race fuel than with 93 octane.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Braahp
Your bike will make less power on race fuel than with 93 octane.

It will not :silly:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Ark_220
will the jetting be the same with VP race fuel?

The same compared to WHAT?
You'll need to give folks more info, if you expect any specific answers.. Things like:
- which VP fuel are you planning on using?
- what type of fuel are you currently using ?
- what is your current jetting?

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Hi Rich,
I know this is someone elses, thread but I thought I would hop in here instead of starting another. I've finally got my jetting straight and thinking of going to race gas for the consistancy. I'm thinking that the quality of fuel from the pump varies too much to keep the jetting straight. Here's what I got:
99 KDX220
Main-140, pilot-35, needle 1174L (stock) #1 clip position(leanest) airscrew-1-1/4 turn out. stock slide #5 (33mm carb)
run at 4-6.5K ft. elevation
I am thinking of moving the clip down one just to give it a little more juice since I didn't notice any performance change with it moved to the top clip. The main reason I am thinking of changing to race gas is the consistancy in fuel and the evaporation temperature range which should make jetting less touchy. Am I full of manure or does this make sense.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
OPPS!!!
Forgot to tell you what race gas:
VP C-12 Why? I don't know, I think from reading past posts, it will provide me with what I am wanting out of the fuel. Also, I'm scared of alcohol blends. A little water in the tank and suddenly you're not burning 2 stroke oil any more and can seize. The water pulls the alcohol right out of the gas and sends it straight to the bottom of the tank where the petcock picks it up right away. More manure? I don't know, this is all speculation on my part. Let me know your opinion.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
which vp racing fuel are u gonna use.
if the octane rating is higher than 93 (which it prob is) it will burn slower than 93 octane fuel. high octane fuel is meant to be used in high compression engines to prevent detonation by reducing the combustibility of the fuel. so unless your running higher compression you dont need it. higher octane number doesn't = more power.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Please re-read my last post. I said C-12. I don't care about making more power. I know that race gas will not give me more horsepower the way you are thinking about i.e more octane = more horsepower. I want consistancy in fuel performance from one tank to the next. I want no alcohol in my gas. Less than a teaspoon of water in gas from a pump laced with alcohol and all the alcohol is pulled out of the fuel and sits at the bottom of the tank, with the water, just waiting to enter your engine and seize it up. A teaspoon of water can occur from condensation due to poor fuel storage. Think about it: You go to the gas station, pick up the hose and select premium. However, the last person to use the hose chose regular. You are pumping at least a half gallon of regular into your 5 gallon can with the same nozzle you are paying premium for. Now what do you have? Maybe the next time you use a different brand. Who knows? It makes a difference. I know that when I put VP C-12 into my bike it's formula will be exactly the same as the last can of C-12. I will know exactly how it will perform because I have ensured consistancy. I also know that if I store the fuel correctly, it won't get stale like pump gas. I've read over and over on this forum of people experiancing a loss of performance without explaination and attempting to re-jet their bike to make it work right. I suspect that they are experiancing fuel problems. Since using C-12 and setting my jetting up right, I no longer spooge out the tailpipe. After an hour ride, I took a paper towel and wiped the inside of my exhaust outlet and got back only soot, nothing wet. My C-12 is vaporizing much more consistantly than pump gas and is therefore burning more completely than pump gas. And in case you where unaware, most spooge is unburned fuel, not 2-stroke oil.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
As a general rule VP C12 will make your bike run richer than pump gas. It's common for guys to lean their carb settings a full step all the way across the board. Mains can sometimes be dropped a couple of steps. Only testing will tell you for sure.

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
Higher octane does not burn slower,...
(reguardless of what you've heard or who from)

it all burns at the same speed.
(now hold on)

Lower octane fuels are more prone to have flame jump, flame jump will cause the entire mixture to burn off quicker, giving the illusion that it burns faster, higher octane burns at a more controlled consistant rate.

This flame jump results in heat, not power.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
:scream:

:silly:

:)

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Rich are you tellin' all these folks that a bike with compression that needs only 90 octane will run just as good on VP race fuel?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
C12 or any similar race fuel will provide better throttle response and allow sharper jetting than ANY pump fuel in ANY current dirt bike engine. If you can't make more power under those circumstances it's not the fuel's fault. I don't know how to make it much clearer than that.

It's a free country so whether you choose to believe me or not is up to you. Either way I'm done with this thread. Too much misinformation being posted for my taste. :silly:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Dirt biking is more than "just putting gas in and riding" for me. I enjoy experimenting with different setups, adjustments, refinements. I especially enjoy kicking the butts of squids who have the same brand bike and are left wallowing in their own spooge, wondering what it takes to ride like that old man with the gray beard. My latest mod is to put KX front suspension on the bike. I can't believe the improvement. I was able to comfortably handle terrain at speeds that would have sent me to an emergency room with the stock setup. Twice today I screamed like a little girl and closed my eyes, knowing that I was going to crash hard. Not only did I not crash, it felt like the bike and I could handle that sort of stuff all day. Now, I'm not saying that just gassing up and riding is wrong, but I'm not interested in just the ride. It's kind of like hunting, it isn't just about killing something, and at some point it isn't even necessary to pull the trigger to have had a great day hunting. Same with dirt bikes. I can spend a day in the garage tinkering and not even start the bike and come away satisfied. It comes with experiance and age I guess.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom