Furnace HS Report - Bushwackers ROCK!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
This was my VERY FIRST hare scramble and it was a great one to start out with. The unseasonable weather was due to hit a low of 70 and we even got some RAIN to drench the parched course. I drove up to Sacramento from Modesto around 1 PM and got to Prairie City/Hangtown about 3 PM. I circled the general staging area and found one solitary campsite with a picnic table so I snagged it.

After unloading my Yukon and heaving the KTM off the motojack rack, I called Jennifer and Pierre to locate them and let them know where I was. I had other friends from my home town due to arrive later in the evening.

First off, I just want to say that the Bushwhacker's MC had everything covered! They had a band setting up in the main staging area around 4 PM. Food vendors were available for some pretty good looking nibbles, and the Bushwhackers MC was even hosting a Hamburger cookout. Heather Wilson (National Women's GNCC Champ and Dist 36 member) and Team Kawasaki were on hand for Kawi demo's, a talk from Heather about HS strategy, and Heather always takes a group of kids out for a ride - very cool!

I saw some familar faces, LocoCD and his wife Jane, daughter Ashley, and a couple of girls I've met at races of the last couple of years. I got to see Jill Patterson, our D-36 photographer extraordinaire as well.

Jennifer and Pierre and I did a nice easy 15 miles in the late afternoon. We found the 40 foot "Mud Bog" that the Bushwhackers had promised would be in the HS and went through it about 5 or 6 times in order to figure out the best line. We agreed to stay to to the RIGHT!! We felt like we had an edge, but come race morning, LocoCD told everyone on the starting line to stay to the right as well :)

Later that night, I cooked up some Linguine and Clam sauce and roasted chicken (from the deli, I cheated!) and after catching up with my friends who arrived late, I called it a night and got an EXCELLENT night's rest in my sleeping bag in the back of my Yukon.

Well, I think I mentioned this was my first HS. There were 26 Women entered in my race! The first thing I did wrong was right at the start. I remember thinking to myself that the honking horn I heard must mean that the race would be starting soon..... But before I knew it everyone was kicking and going and button-starting and I'm thinking "holy crap" I guess its time to go!! I pushed my e-start but I couldn't hear if the engine had turned over and in my frenzied state it had not, so I pushed the button again and finally I took off!! I was already at the back of the pack, oh well :ugg: Jennifer and her KTM351 (yes, she's got the big bore kit and it's the shizzle!!) is off and WAY out front with the fast chicks. Bye bye.

There's a bottle neck at the entrance to a downhill dip and I get past two who are waiting patiently for their "turn" :nener:
We navigate through some turns and berms and table tops from the MX course and I'm no MXer so its steady-eddie through the turns and I'm sure I look like a spode. I don't care. :moon: Some of the ladies go down at the base of a table top and I navigate around them. Then its on to the staight aways and faster stuff and some downhills that make me pucker a little, but just a little because I'm going faster than normally go.

I miss the familiarity of the enduros with the 12 mph sections and resets and woods and trees and things to keep one from getting out of control....I miss the check points and the jart charts and the available time I actually have to take a sip from my camel back. I miss the nice 30 minutes for snacks and gas stops half way through the race.

This Hare Scramble stuff is......INTENSE! Everyone is GO! GO! GO! and I'm like "Ummm, yeaaaaah. I don't normally go 40 mph and 4th gear's not my thing....okay??" When I'd get passed, there was absolutely no response to my throttle hand. When some blur of a woman Hare Scramble entrant would get past me, I'd think to myself "Go on girl!! Go on! Here, let me pull over a little to the right so you can get your quick self right on by!! You GO girl!!"

So that's how it went. I rode against myself and had a good time. I ended up getting in 4 whole laps which surprised me because most of the C class women pulled down 4 as well. I was getting lapped by the B class women and I didn't feel too much shame in that. They all pulled 5 laps. And I didn't come in last - YES!!

The Bushwhackers did a SUPERB job of marking the course, flagging and assisting throught the whole 4.7 mile loop. They mustered up plenty of help from the various district clubs and all were needed. The Furnace HS is the LARGEST represented Women's / Youth HS in the country and it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to pull of an event of this magnatude.

I had a blast, thanks Bushwhackers and District 36! :worship:

Last edited:

jennifer

Apr 3, 2002
My hat off to the Bushwhackers MC. Amazing event. Hopefully next year the husbands will get to race too (Dennie?) ;) Natalie it was great to see you. Thanks for the great cooking. You did awesome for your very first Hare Scramble! Jen had several crashes but still finished mid-pack. I hope Jared is ok. We heard he went down and may have a broken arm?

Here is a pic of Jen in the mud hole. Nat, did you pick up your pic?
1293624-jennifer-mudhole.jpg

Pierre

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Great ride report, Nat! :cool: Sounds like a lot of fun, and a good turnout. How many miles was the loop? How long was the race?

It's been a couple years since I ran any harescrambles. Those dead-engine starts always got the butterflies going!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
The loop was 4.7 miles and the timing was 1 hour. I did my 4 laps in 1 hour and 13 minutes. I was glad I finished my 3rd lap under an hour so that I could go out for the 4th. You should of seen the youth races, there were 6 whole rows and kids lined up and parents everywhere. It was awesome!! Huge turnout!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Wow Nat - awesome ride report - it sounds like you had a good time!! Congrats on finishing and getting in 4 laps! I'm guessing you like that new bike? Good read for me as I'm planning on racing my first ever HS this Sunday :yikes: I have a question for you (and other woods people) have any tips on how to keep your hands loose? Because I have a hard time in a 10 minute MX moto where my hands will blister and cramp and eventually I'm lucky to be able to pull the clutch or brake. And I'm fearing how my hands will be from a 1 hour HS! I'm freaking out on that dead engine start as well.... considering I have no magic button!

:cool:

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Congrats to you all! Bushwackers do put on a really good event.

Thanks for the race report Natalie, sounds like some of the course was the same as last year, glad you had such great weather. Loved the photo of Jennifer in the mudhole - any more pics anybody?

Hopefully we'll get back down there for next year's race... Sounds like it's going to be an annual must do!
-SusanP.
CRF250x

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Natalie,
Great report, you finished and had a good time what more can anyone ask for.

Twisting the throttle to the stops, :yikes: not for me.

When is the Deer Creek ride?

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
nikki said:
Good read for me as I'm planning on racing my first ever HS this Sunday :yikes: I have a question for you (and other woods people) have any tips on how to keep your hands loose?

Did I hear this right? Nikki...going to RACE in the woods?? You feeling ok?! ;)
That's great-- it's really a lot of fun once you stop looking at the trees as obstacles to be avoided, and concentrate on the little trail running between them. :)
Handguards might be useful, if you have a set to throw on. Keep your body relaxed, and your hands should relax with them. You may have to actually TELL yourself during the race to "relax, stay loose". Riding tight can cause the arms to pump up quick.
Dead-engine start-- if you are confident that your bike will start easily in gear, then do that. Otherwise, put it in neutral to start. If you start in gear, make sure the bike is well and truly warmed up before you get to the line. Then, while you are waiting for your row do a couple practice starts when the rows in front of you start (plus you'll be able to figure out the timing of the flagger).
Oh, and common off-road race etiquette says that if a faster rider is coming up behind you quickly, it's nice to recognize them with a nod and pull over (when it's convenient) to let them pass.
Good luck, and have FUN!

Sorry Nat....back to you! ;)

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
LoriKTM said:
Oh, and common off-road race etiquette says that if a faster rider is coming up behind you quickly, it's nice to recognize them with a nod and pull over (when it's convenient) to let them pass.
Good luck, and have FUN!

Sorry Nat....back to you! ;)

Or try to just hold your line so the faster rider can get around you. Something happened to me during the HS that was sort of odd... :|

I had just exited the 40' mudbog and was to the right of a BIG WIDE dirt road, it was at least 5 yards wide. I could hear a faster rider coming up behind me and I mentally reminded myself to hold my line so she can get by me. I was already on the right and stayed there. It was a B-class rider and she was coming up fast. For some reason she decided to pass me on the RIGHT and all of the sudden I see her bark busters and she's yelling something and BOOM!! We BOTH went down. I was kind of pissed because she should have gotten around me to the left and I know well enough to hold my line and not weave.

I got the wind knocked out of me and she's sort of apologetic and asks me if I'm okay and I ask her if she's okay and then she says she yelled to warn me that she was there. I got the impression that she felt like it was my fault because I was the slower, less experienced rider. She says "I've GOT to get going" and tries starting her bike and its not kicking over. I got on mine and pushed the e-start. I knew she would catch me again once we got onto the MX track and she did, so I just stayed WAY over to the out corners and kind of waved her past.

I'm still not sure why she tried to pass me on the right. I was just glad neither of us had any injuries because the last time that happened I had a torn rotator cuff and some severe bruising/hematomas. THAT'S WHY I HOLD MY LINE WHEN GETTING PASSED!!!

Nik-Dog, on the other hand, will be the one doing all the passing in her upcoming HS... ;)

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Nat,
You did fine, all you can do is hold your line and assume the faster rider will manage to get by safely. Sometimes in the heat of the race tho, people don't make their best judgements and she probably thought she could take the shorter route on the inside, which wasn't the right thing to do. Especially if she then target fixated on YOU and clipped your handlebars.

Glad neither of you were hurt!
-SusanP.
CRF250x

jennifer

Apr 3, 2002
Thanks to the bushwackers!

Like Natalie, I had a great time. Got a bad start also... not because I could not hear my engine... my bike stalled....! When it finally got going, 3/4 of the women were gone. I caught up with a big bunch of them and tried to pass on the far left of a motorcross jump and ended up in deep sand where my bike stalled again and sunk down deep into the sand. Frustrated I back up a bit and get her fired up. Then there was catch up!!! Riding like a fool I hit the dirt again.... up against one of those orange rocks that you are supposed to glance at and then look ahead... WRONG! I must have stared at the rock and of course hit it and went down. This is not the worst... I missed a semi sharp right moving into a down hill rut... ended up going up the side of sand bar and went over the bars into a 2 to 3 foot ditch. I screamed and one of the bushwackers was right there watching me. Luckily he was there to help pick up the bike as it was upside down... Scared the heebeegeebees out of me but luckily I was not injured and was able to get moving again. Thanks to the bushwacker who picked up my bike! Despite the big, dramatic crash, there was noone to be seen behind me and I ended up not losing any places. . Little did I know, however, that the pack was catching up due to all of my crashes! I dropped the bike one more time and got passed by Andrea and another Kawasaki. I ended up catching and repassing the Kawa on the motorcross track but Andrea had checked out. I ended up finishing mid-pack.

The harescramble was a blast! I enjoyed it thoroughly despite my stupid mistakes. I learned a lot and look forward to the Prime Time.

Natalie did a great job on her first harescramble. Although she will not admit it, she is a bit competitive! I give her big kudos for going out there and giving it a whirl. Harescrambles are a unique experience due to the high speed and close passes. Bravo Natalie and Bravo the Bushwackers!

LocoCD / Dennie: How is Jarod?

Jennifer
The real one!
KTM 250 RFS

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Nat, at a harescramble I did earlier this year, I had a guy come up behind me & because he took so bloody long to pass, I thought I must have been in his way, so moved to let him pass on my left, just as he must have decided I could hold a line & he'd pass me on my right ;) Neither of us went down, but I felt stink about it (we clipped). I guess no matter how long they're behind you, just ignore them & hold your line or indicate where you want them to pass. I'll pull over if it's tight single-track, but only if it doesn't put me in a predicament. I just keep glancing back to let them know I know they're there (and am trying to get out the way).

At the last harescramble I did, I had a bad start - I wasn't even at my bike when the hooter went off. I knew it wouldn't matter, so wasn't concerned (heck, I didn't even finish the race) but Henk was trying to get me to get slightly interested in competing.

Good on you for finishing (and starting) and the race is always within yourself.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
jennifer said:
Hey Natalie,

Where is your mud picture?

I don't have a scanner! Is that how you posted yours?

Hey Michelle - long time!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
GETMETOCA said:
Or try to just hold your line so the faster rider can get around you. Something happened to me during the HS that was sort of odd... :|

Nat, don't worry about it. You did the right thing! It was completely her fault for running into you, when she had plenty of room to pass on the left (the obvious side anyway).

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
jennifer said:
Thanks to the bushwackers!

Like Natalie, I had a great time. ... my bike stalled....ended up in deep sand where my bike stalled again ......must have stared at the rock and of course hit it and went down. ..... missed a semi sharp right moving into a down hill rut... ended up going up the side of sand bar and went over the bars into a 2 to 3 foot ditch.....

The harescramble was a blast! I enjoyed it thoroughly despite my mistakes. I learned a lot and look forward to the Prime Time.

Jennifer
The real one!
KTM 250 RFS

Heck, Jennifer... sounds like you could have won the dang thing if you could have just stayed upright! I think I also know why Pierre keeps trying different bark busters on your bike (big grin)

Sounds like you had a great time -- good for you!

It rained for a solid week up here - so we passed on the Washougal Grand Prix last Sunday. But weather looks great this weekend - we hope to get out and do some ridin'

Cheers! -- RandyB

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
The Furnace had a little rain! And low 70's as predicited! The course had virtually no common trail from last year. Few rocks, some mud and lots of different challenges! Ths year it looks like we had about 70 women riders (260 total for the youth and women classes), it may not be the best yet, but it is the biggest race of it's kind in the AMA! Congrats to Nat and Jennifer and thank you both for the support. As one of our event signs said "Caution - Fast Women"!!!

Kpicha

Sep 11, 2004
WOW! This stuff sounds like FUN!! I hope I can find something like that around here once I start riding more seriously. That was a great write-up! :)

Top Bottom