Gal's-what do you think of your kdx's

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
I was hopeing to get my wife a pampera this year-but it doesn't seem to be in the cards(or the wallet) right now.So a kdx 200-220 may fill the spot nicely if I can find a good used one.Anyone want to give their opinions on their kdx's as a good gals bike? Marianne ride a RT 180 right now but she follows the guy's just about any where we go. So I can see more of a xcountry bike in her future. Any info would be appreciated. Thks Cactusreid

Karna&Justin

~SPONSOR~
Sep 27, 2001
cactusreid,

I can't complain about my KDX. It is a little bit heavy (if you have to pick it up as much as I do) but the motor is perfect for my kind of riding. I am purchasing a *new* to me Gas Gas EC 200 because I am ready to upgrade but I am confident that your wife will love the KDX.
Good Luck!

Karna

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I've had my bike almost 3 years, ride at around sea level, PC pipe, FMF muffler, longer dogbones, rad valve, scotts steering damper, two exhaust rings, air box lid almost gone (it just holds the CDI on it), 13/50? gearing, softer spring on the shock, gold valves in the front.

I give my bike to anyone wanting to try it, and apart from finding it a bit tall, most of the women have loved it (the guys haven't found it too tall). I'm getting it lowered (I think, the person doing it is busy, but will talk to him during the week to see if he's got time in the next fortnight) as this summer have found a few situations were made more difficult by the height. I've lost confidence for some reason, not as though I had much to start with.

I've considered updating my bike, but can't honestly afford it & really there's no need, I'm happy with the bike, it's me that has the problems.

I used to half fill the bike, just so when I dropped it I wouldn't have as much weight to pick up, but don't bother with that these days. Would I buy another? Yip, it suits me. Would I recommend it to another woman? If she's keen after riding mine, I'd say go for it. I recommend anyone to try out any bike they can & see what suits them & what they're comfortable with. The worse thing anyone can do is buy a bike that's not right for them just because someone recommended it.

Non-committal reply? Lol, you betcha, but don't think it's not a good bike, it is. It just depends on what your wife wants. I love my bike, but that doesn't mean your wife will love it too.

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I like my '02 KDX220R very much.
I've been riding it a little over one year since I stepped up from XR200.
I like it, because it has quick response, good low end power, good steering, and nice suspension (I got one just right for my weight).
I ride mostly in woods. Like Karna said, it's a bit heavy for women to pick up or turn around on single track. But it's a nice trail bike.
If your wife is tall enough for KDX (I'm 5'3), it would be a good bike for her until you get a Pampera.
Mini

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
This chica doesn't find her KDX 220 too tall OR too heavy. Well, there is the small fact that he won't load without a push from behind. :confused: Of course if I would use a step to get up into the back of my truck then I wouldn't have that issue (I'm stubborn) I've had mine a little less than a year and I have no complaints... :think: I take that back. I used to have one, but I colored the purple tank black so now he's perfect. :) I've taken him out on the trails, we've done a few laps on an MX track (even tried a jump or two) and we hit the sands of the dunes. There is nothing I've tried that he can't do... just things that I can't do, yet. The bike can grow with me as I develope my skills. It is a very easy bike to improve upon, as Michelle's list points out. Right now I just have an FMF rev pipe with the FMF silencer. I like the extra top end I get from that pipe, (almost like the CR I had), but pipes are like everything else... you need to work with what works for you and your style. There will be a point when certain applications for him will lose their luster with me, so to speak. He's not designed for jumping (I'm determined to clear a triple some day) so a CR125 will be his teammate for on the track. He's a bike that will be with me until my last day... or his.... which ever comes first. ;) I'm glad my buddy Sage turned me on to the KDX. I wouldn't trade my M1A1 tank for anything.

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
In the woods the KDX is an awesome bike! The engine is totally forgiving. You can hit a hill a gear too high, and not worry about the bike stalling. However you still have more of the 2stroke hit.

For me, the desert was a totally different story. The soft suspension killed my back. I couldn't ride more than 20 miles without my back hurting. Now that I have my KTM and have figured out the whoops, I wonder how much of my aching back was my riding, and not the bike though. It could possibly have been.

I think if you are looking for a bike to move her up to, the KDX is a good choice. There is a lot of room to grow, and when she wants something different the resale is awesome!! I sold mine 3 years after I bought it, and several rides, for about the same price I paid. Not to mention there are a ton of used KDX's out there that have been ridden once or twice.

Good luck!

Top Bottom