whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Tony, I've built this garage for two clients in the past, once with Hardiplank siding the other as a brick exterior as shown, it's a 20x30 one bay w/ 10'6 ceilings, stairs to 2nd floor, work shop in rear, hvac, and hwh under stairs. First customer wanted theirs unfinished, the one shown here opted for all out!
Full bath, full kitchen, cat5 phone & comp hook up, sat rg6, dining area, and living area. Hit my "pay the rent" link below and go to my active folder for a more complete look at everything. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but if it is I'll send you a set of the plans. I do a lot of attached garages, but this one is my favorite plan to build. If I could add it on my lot, I would.

As far as my own garage, I am in the middle of repainting my floors, I used Oil base floor paint after acid washing the concrete, it is painted like a baseball diamond, the back wall is the scoreboard from Forbes field, and I have painted nostalgic graphics one that and next wall. I like the atmosphere.
Anyway, in my dual bay I've got a dual tank compressor, built-in cabinets, build in storage bins & tool racks, built-in shelves, heavy-duty shelves above the garage doors, bike lifts for my mountain and road bikes, 11' ceilings, cd radio, radiant heater, hose bib inside, plenty of 110 & a dedicated 110 for the compressor, 220 for a future welder, I insulated the walls w/ r-15 before I hung the drywall, 1 work table, 2 built-in work benches, florescent lighting, and a separate zone on the security system, cat5 phone & internet connection. I used to have a weight bench but fat guys don't need that kind of stuff.

I want to add a sink, 3 permanent security anchors into the slab, and a tig welder.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Darn - I go to way West Texas, where they don't have MSN packet pigeons, and y'all come up with some great comments ... In order

Mike - Can't wait to see photos ...

wayneg - BFH :o  :)

VD - I really like the tiles / rubber floors but agree with the concerns about being able to keep the crud from working into the area beneath the flooring.  Mold is a huge problem in the south and I expect it to continue to be until the insurance companies manage to get exclusions written into everyone's insurance policies.  I am a real proponent of high performance concrete hardeners and sealers that are used in warehousing.  I have used many different types over the years and found them all to be generally acceptable as long as they are the type that absorbs into the concrete rather than making a film on the surface. Another product that works well and is also decorative is floor stain/finishing systems.  I have specified many SF of these materials since their inception and really like L.M. Scofield for their range of products and the fact that they make products that can be applied on existing concrete as well as new concrete.

Okiewan - Yup, I with you ... who would want an ol' stinky lawn mower in the same place as my bikes.  Besides, experience has taught me that, if you want a place that doesn't accumulate kids stuff and the rigmarole of day to day life, you have to separate them.

96whyzee125 - Nice garage!  Not to make fun of your efforts but, it would go well with some of the starter castles they build here in North Texas.  I really like the separation as mentioned above.

I am investigating Mueller Inc. metal building systems at this point as being the most cost effective shell for the building.  It is not the most visually pleasing, but the slab/shell costs (at $10~$12 per SF) cannot be beat.  That cost can even be shaved a bit by assembling the building yourself.

Tony

I forgot to add ...

What is everyone's feelings about where the doors (and therefore throughput) on the building go.  I'm actually considering on on the end and two across from each other on the sides with the other end being kept clear for the actual shop area.

Last edited:

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
I took a couple pics of my garage for you guys. I pretty much focused on the "shop" area. Check them out. I had to include one of my little boy as well (I swear it's motorcycle related!) ;)

http://home.columbus.rr.com/coolpix/Garage1.jpg

http://home.columbus.rr.com/coolpix/Garage2.jpg

http://home.columbus.rr.com/coolpix/Mechanic2.jpg

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Here's a picture of my sano garage/workshop. Bikes are all serviced and everything is put away.

Attachments

• plushandwelllit.jpg
    plushandwelllit.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 178

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by Bill Hibbs
I like it!! Is that a Vintage KTM poster in the background? That may be worth something. The Maco's cool too!
Hinz Kinagadner's (if that's how you spell it) World Championship poster.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Bill Hibbs
I guess my check hasn't cleared yet so you may need to copy and paste. ;)
I always wondered why some URLs were not hyperlinks in some people's posts. I just assumed that they had that feature turned off in their CP. Does this only work for subscribers? Is it a CP option?
:think:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by 96whyzee125

What gets me is his grass, (look at his Bultaco in the for-sales). VD, are you the only person in New Mexico with grass?
Heck no, all us high class New Mexicans have butter on both sides of our tortillias and we have lots of green grass. All it takes is water and fertilizer.

Kerry Shane

Nov 13, 2002
Guys all the buildings and related custom and luxuary stuff is cool but the floor plan should have all the proper machine tools and race hardware to get the job done.
1. Bestway floor lift with acc ramp
2. Mig and heli-arc set up preferable Square wave
3. Plasma cutter
4. oxy-actete rig on large wheel cart
5. Two parts washers ) crude and final wash
6. Two drill presses one 3 taper for mass work and on 2 taper for tube notcher
7. 7ft x 2ft x 1/2 thick frame jig table for reworking and un-tweeking bent frames and building swing arms( table should be Blanchard ground to within .002
8. one 3ft x 6ft shop table with vises attached on heavy roll around wheels
9. One lath preferable gear set up with two chucks and every componet for doing everything.
10. Bridgeport w/r8 collets power XYZ feeds 54" bed , turret table, vises, sine vises and boring attachments and all other I got to have it tooling.
11. Kwickway Boring bore with jigging fixture and related tooling
12. Sunnen precision hone with all hones and 3 sets of stones for every tolerance and finish imaginable
13. Metal cutting bandsaw 14" min throat
14. laydown progressive bandsaw 10'' min cut
15. Blast cabinet ( min 3'X4'for beadblasting cases and other parts ( glass and or shell)
16. Quincey or equal 7.5 hp air compressor with 120 gal reciever
17. Kwickway valve grinding and seat finishing equipment
18. Superflow SF 600 flowbench
19. Superflow trackmaster small engine ( up to 300HP)
20. Cut rate deals with all known parts suppliers.
21. Min three year deal with Safety clean for chemical services

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Tony, could not find the pictures I took of the lift. Here is one of it at an x-mas party I was having. Kind of get the idea. :silly: I can draw up some drawing s if you want and fax them to you (nothing pretty! but you can get an idea of what I had. Give me a PM with phone, fax. and I will give you a call monday at work.

Mike

Attachments

• hyd lift dia..jpg
    hyd lift dia..jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 96

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
OOOPS wrong attachment, try this. If you can see it , you'll notice I had an over head control hanging from the ceiling, so I could adjust height while hanging on to what ever I was working on at the time. It did come in handing quite a few times having it wired that way. ;) I could actually raise the table about 5 feet out of the ground. It used about a 5 inch ram.

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 96

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by someday
How about an automotive floor lift too?
A two lane shooting range:)
And EVERYTHING else mentioned thusfar.

Wierd that you should mention this.  I designed a facility for a private individual that has a collection of armored vehicles, which includes a M51 tank.  I was assigned the task because I was in armor during my time in the Army.

In any case the client shows up at the first meeting with a rough sketch of his requirements, which includes a "long" file room along one side of the building, with one door in one end.

During the discussions, I pointed out that we would need to include a door in the opposite end because code will not allow a corridor longer than 20 feet and this was 60 feet.  He was quite concerned about security and I assured him that we would not be able to build the room without the door, but that he could "secure" it once the final inspections were complete.  I also commented that I "assumed" he would want all the CMU walls of this room filled solid with concrete after they were completed.  His reply was that he thought this would be a great idea.

The partner in the meeting kept looking at me weird and quizzed me after the gentleman departed.  He about fainted when I told him why the room needed to be high security.  The gentleman had indicated during our conversations that he has "all" firing pins for all the armament on the vehicles, which include the 50 cal on the turret of his tanks (yes plural).

He test fires his 50s in the room.  I designed a "very" unique, fully baffled, exhaust system for this room to control the "humidity" according to the plans submitted! ;)  The extra door was welded shut the last time I saw it.

Believe me, the city officials would faint if they knew what went on in that building.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Urinal, keg, cot, one phillips head, one slotted (for prying open stuff), a crescent wrench and some bandaids (smashed fingers). That's about all I really know how to use. I'd just hurt myself worse with any of that other stuff.

I should post a pic of my garage. I have a small (5x10) closet for storage, the rest is an almost finished game room with a billiard table, fridge, cabinets, stereo, etc.

Top Bottom