MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Does anyone really know if gas breaks down an air filters foam? I have heard some say gas is fine, others say no it breaks down the filter. I dont want to spend $20 on a new air filter if my UNI is really fine(im DIRT poor right now) but $20 is a whole lot better than a new cylinder! Thanks

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
Gas does not break down a filter's foam.. And breaking down means the filter will crumble in your hands, only then is it time to replace the filter.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I think by break down you would notice some degradation in the filter i.e. seams starting to come undone etc. If your filter still looks fine I would continue to use it but start using something more gentle on the filter for cleaning. I'm sure you'll get the usual gamut of opinions on this including those that say they haven't noticed any filter breakdown and I certainly couldn't say beyond a shadow of a doubt that it will break it down but I've always tried to err on the side of caution.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I would use something else besides gas only because of the fire hazard. I could not give you a truthful answer on whether or not it breaks down but the fire hazard is real!!!!!

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I have found that using gas to clean a foam filter was the best. On my CR125 I had used gas for about 20 cleaning and found absolutly no breakage in the foam or the glue. After using the gas I would get some soap and water and clean the filter to remove any more dirt (if there was any) and also to get the leftover gas/gas smell off the filter to prevent a fire! I found it not to work as well in a gauzed type filter (K&N) but for a K&N I have found it to be best to get the recharger kit.

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
Don't use gas. It WILL eat away at the glue at the seams, whether you notice it or not. Eventually the foam WILL separtate at the seams.

Kerosene works great, isn't as dangerous, isn't as smelly, and is readily available.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
I've said it before and I'll say it again. NO-Toil!

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
The problem with gasoline is the vapors have a very low flash point. Almost any ignition source can ignite gasoline vapors creating a fire. To me it's common sense, just like wearing a helmet when I ride or my seatbelt when I drive. Unless you enjoy third degree flesh burns, painful skin grafts and months of physical therapy, gasoline is an internal combustion fuel not a parts cleaner.

Buy a gallon of the low odor mineral spirits from home depot. Not even kerosene got my filters this clean. After removing the dirt and oil follow through with a washing in the kitchen sink using hot water and dish soap.

As for what to do with the used dirty mineral spirits. I've found them to be great for starting campfires.

---Woods

Last edited:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Harumph......Harumph.......

No Toil if you switch to it offers the compleat package with just the filter-oil, solvent and greease. This is the tackiest stuffI have EVER used and it's great! I just wash my filter in the Wash as per instructions and I get a brand new filter!

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Irish do you have stock in No toil ? :) I have tried No Toil before and my filters came out nice and clean but after a couple of cycles the filters came apart at the seams. Do you wash them in hot water? if so what is your water heater temp set at. Or do you wash them in the gentle cycle?

I love the way the No Toil worked but I beleive I am doing something wrong with the washing machine so I haven't used it again .

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I understand that even the no-toil cleaner will harm certain filters.
I now use no-toil and like it very much.
If not no-toil cleaner, I am with Woodsrider. Mineral spirits is the way to go.
Using gas is a foolish mistake.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
what brand of filter do you use with No Toil then?

I am fairly lucky in the respect that I have a spare filter and it usually takes me a week to actually service a filter. Mondaynite bring it to work and use the solvent tank let it sit on the tool box to dry for a day . Bring it home tuesdaynite . wednesday morn wash it with dishwashing detergent and hang it in an open baggy so that dust cant collect on it for a day. Thursday or Fri. oil it up in an open baggie hanging over top of my garbage can. Fri or Sat take old filter off bike and install clean one.

If you can time it as a ritual it works out beautifully!!!!!! cleaning the air filter is not a chore because your not at it for any length of time. Plus my wife is a nurse and brings me home latex gloves for when I actually switch the filters. real sweet!!!!!

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Try WD40 instead of gasoline. A little more messy but not nearly the fire hazard. Plus you don't have to worry about disposing of the leftover gasoline afterward.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by jmics19067
Irish do you have stock in No toil ? :) I have tried No Toil before and my filters came out nice and clean but after a couple of cycles the filters came apart at the seams. Do you wash them in hot water? if so what is your water heater temp set at. Or do you wash them in the gentle cycle?

I love the way the No Toil worked but I beleive I am doing something wrong with the washing machine so I haven't used it again .

:) :) :) I wish!

I wash mine in the washer on the warm/gentle cycle with the proportions on the side of the container. I think it's a 1/2 cup of cleaner and 1 cup of liquid Tide. Sqweeky Clean, after 5 months of wasing twice a month the filter is still holding up like a champ!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
jmics, I use the No-toil filters.

Would the solvent tank at work have anything to do with them comming apart?

147leeman

May 27, 2000
I've found the cheapest way for me is Odorless Mineral Spirits found at Wal-Mart, followed bya water + dawn washing and finally just plain old water until the smell of the spirits is gone. Works great.

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
hand cleaner - orange flavor. smells good, works good, cant hurt anything including your hands.

not the gritty kind of hand cleaner obviously

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
woods has it! been doing it that way for years. this will be the last season for the blue filter treatment! my quart of maxium is gone! notoil from now on!

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I bought a bunch of twin-air filters and clean them all at once in a big bucket with no-toil and they practically clean themselves. I hear the uni filters come apart easily with no-toil so use twin-air.

Hey RMXkid and Durt, just curious what you do with the spent gasoline after washing your filter. Do you store the dirty gas to be used on the next filter or just dump it out back when noone's looking.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I like the idea behind No-Toil filter oil, but the only time I used it dirt was sucked into my engine. This was a free sample I received at the '00 Midwest Spodefest, but the problem was most likely operator error. Then I read that No-Toil would cause the glue to deteriorate on Uni air filters. Uni is the filter brand I prefer to use because both elements come apart for easier cleaning and inspection.

Currently I am using Maxima FFT filter oil, but in the past I have used Bel-Ray, PJ-1, No-Toil, chainsaw bar oil and 90wt gear oil.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If anyone REALLY wants to talk toa No-Toil expert, it would be BigLou! :)

btw...very good question, Mac!

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Jaybird
I am on my way. I like No-Toil because it is bio-degradable.....I am no Greenie or a freak........I like No-Toils tackiness and the ease that it takes to clean them........1 cycle through the wash!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by IrishEKU
I've said it before and I'll say it again. NO-Toil!

Same here... no need for smelly (and possibly harmful) gas or kerosene. No-Toil all the way! But be careful if you use No-Toil on Uni filters - the Uni glue might break down because of the No-Toil cleaner. If thats the came - send the damaged Uni filter to No-Toil and they will replace it with a No-Toil filter (those filters along with the No-Toil system are amazing - I've been using the same filters for almost a year now and they still look brand new!)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom