Gas Conversion to Ethanol and jetting

mikej43

Apr 14, 2005
As the oil companies raise gas prices and gouge the consumers, yet again. The latest excuse is the conversion of gas from an MTBE additive being replaced by an Ethanol additive.
This brings up the idea and question. How will this new additive affect our KDX gas/oil/jetting / mixture.
We usally use pump gas at 91 or 92 or 93 Octane ratting in the USA. I know everyone uses all kinds of variable oil/gas ratios from 32 to 1 up to 40 to 1. One they picked a ration to stick with. Everyone then rejetted from there to match their bike/location/gas variables.
How will this new additive [Ethanol] affect my jetting ?
Are there any harmful issues this additive will cause when it is interacting with our pre-mix ratios in our engines ?
Was the MTBE past additive doing anything for my two stroke ?
Since it was an additive, effectively it was affecting the amount of raw gas in a gallon for combustion. I wonder if they will put in as much Ethanol in as MTBE they are taking out ?

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
We should just give in and jet our bikes to run on Methanol. Over my way the price for racing meth hasnt risen at the same pace that fuel has.... I reckon a KDX would be terrifyingly quick running on racing meth! (you would use serious amounts more though)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I'm certain that a change in fuel chemistry will make it so that you may need to change your jetting...
but the oil companies do not set the prices, the futures market and your local retailer do.
There has been no proof of any of the oil companies gouging any of us, even after multiple investigations into such claims.

You want to go spouting off about being gouged, go do it at your statehouse and in DC. THAT is where the gouging is created and perpetuated.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I keep hearing how MTBE is a carcinigen, but I have never seen any evidence of it being such.
I'd love to read about it if anyone knows where to find such evidence.

IMO, it is yet another way for the greenies to incorporate legislation in order to fight their battles that they cannot win at the ballot box.
Such legislation that mandates regulation and restrictions on the oil producers is a huge contributor to raising oil prices.
CA is the worst perpetrator of this sort of tactic on the planet.

Top Bottom