Gas Gas, how much room under ign cover?

roostafish

Jul 14, 2000
I want to add 2 pounds of flywheel weight to an XC250. Is there an aftermarket cover? (Okay, maybe not 2 pounds) Really, does anyone know how big you can go for flywheel weight?

scrambler220

Mar 3, 2000
I ran the 10 or 12 oz. for one race with no spacer...burnt a whole in my flywheel cover. The one I've got was from GGNA, so I'm not sure if Smackover's varies or not.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
roostafish,

So.....you got another GasGas'er??? Took you long enough! If I knew you were in the market for a clean GG I would have sold you mine!!

Welcome back

Rick
USMC (RET)
99 GasGas EC200
D-36
AMA

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
scrambler220,
I had a 10oz (from GGNA) on mine with no spacer and it had plenty of clearance.
Did you take the washer off that was under the nut? That could have been the problem.

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
I run a 10 oz from smackover with plenty of room. It has helped in the tight slippery stuff. If a 2 lb weight is more for you(futile attempt at humor here), do what I do when it jumps on the pipe with a major case of hookup--- point bike in straight line, deploy drag chute, drop the plow, and pray the throttle doesn't stick. :yeehaw:

'01 XC 250 - adorned with shiny objects

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Is adding a flywheel weight a straightforward 10 minute job, or does this entail any tricky wrenching?

roostafish

Jul 14, 2000
Rather than the parachute and plow method, I figured a KDX silencer, and a two pound flywheel weight would tame it down just right. Sort of give it four stroke tractoring characteristics, with the power of a 200. Not exactly what most people do to a 250 is it?! :)

MR.WR, wouldn't that be ironic, me sell you my bike, you sell it back to me. What are you looking for this time? Another 200? I've seen some nice machines out there if you're willing to travel. I think you need Ohlins forks! :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
If you want a ton of flywheel effect and a silky smooth motor - you can machine the cases out and add the counterbalancer that came on earlier gasgas motors. They are making the 300 with a counterbalancer again - it is mounted in the quad. I was talking to the gasgas rep at a race a few weeks back - he mentioned the possibility of special ordering a bike with the counterbalancer later in the year...

Look here for a great write-up on the flywheel effect of various options - heavier ec ignition and stock ec flywheel versus lighter ignition and aftermarket flywheels...

http://www.smackovermotorsports.com/html/flywheel.htm

jeff
'01 gasgas ec300 ohlins forks
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club
www.lt-racing.com GasGas Performance Products
www.smackovermotorsports.com GasGas Parts Warehouse

john1216

Apr 17, 2002
Hey Rick, Maybe you didn't see the post above for all the traffic in here! I was wondering if you are selling your bike or making small talk... I live in Lodi as well, so let me know.
Thanks
For some reason I cant PM anymore!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom