2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Woods guys........
Been keeping my eyes open for a new ride for my son. Ran across a barely ridden 2001 Gas Gas 200EC. Rode one before, and it seemed awesome for the tight, rocky type stuff we're always hunting for. This bike is totally stock. Looking for your imput on some stuff. (IF we buy it, we've got a 200 mile ride coming up quick)
Is the stock jetting even close?
Stock suspension seems dialable for my 18 year old, 150 lb, "B" rider son...?
I remember hearing reliability was an issue in the mid-late 90's...is it still?
No dealers in these parts.......mail order ideas?
Other "tips" helpful too........."Let em fly"
Thanks a bunch.........

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Hall's Husqvarna in Springfield, IL is a Gas Gas dealer. They sure do a great job on the Husky side of business. halls-cycles.com I could call right now and have a part on my doorstep by noon tomorrow for cheaper than I could drive across town to a dealer. I'm no help re:gas gas but Halls should be good mail order dealer.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I have a 2001 EC200, but mine has the motocross ignition (lighter flywheel, more zap, less wattage for lights though) so it's like the DE bikes.

I think the bike would be pretty much perfect for your son. The bikes make really good power that's pretty smooth. Though if it's a DE, it will definitely have a hit in the midrange. Handling is second to none. As far as suspension goes, the stock stuff is decent, but to get the most out of the WP fork, get it revalved. Pro Works Racing did my suspension and I'm really, really happy with it now. I ride everything from sandy whoops to roots and rocks to mine rock and even a little motocross and have found that the revalve has given me a ton of confidence. The suspension soaks everything up.

For jetting, my bike was bought used and the previous owner had already dialed in the jetting. I had heard some issues with jetting the bikes though. Talk to Les at LTR for any help. His jet kit is supposed to do wonders, but I haven't tried it yet.

As far as reliability goes, I have 3 hard seasons of racing and riding on my top end and compression is still great. The bikes are very durable and hold up well under tough riding/racing conditions. The only problems I have had are a broken needle holder in the carb (completely out of the ordinary, easy fix though as KX250s use the same carb) and a broken rear brake pedal (my fault, I hit a stump). Besides that, the bike is bulletproof.

For dealers, most GasGas dealers are really good. The absolutely best one I've found is GoFasters. These guys are awesome. Check www.gasgasrider.org for all your GasGas questions.

Oh, and if the bike is bone stock, here's what I recommend adding:
-Skid plate, pipe guard, barkbusters

Performance wise, I've heard good things about the LTR powervalve cover, but I haven't tried it yet. I should be getting one soon though so I'll let you know how it works out.

If you need any more info, just shoot me an email or post here.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
BTW I got my Gasser when I was 19 years old, 155lb, 6'0" tall. That was 2005. Now I'm 21, 160lb, 6'0" tall and it's still great. I started out riding it in the C class in 05 and now I'm moving up to the A class this year. I give most of the credit to my bike. It makes going fast easy.

I highly recommend a GasGas to any woods rider. These bikes are amazing and do not have all the issues that go along with exotic bikes. I plan on racing one at Six Days (provided I qualify) and will be buying a new EC250 next winter when I get some spare cash.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Good info.........thanks guys. Bike has 30 hrs........ he's asking 2100. However, just found out the bike has no title. Hmmm.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Looks like the paperwork end of the deal may be coming together. If so, will be picking bike up next weekend. Now we're in a state of "hurry up" since we have our yearly 200 mile trail ride coming up. We'll go all through the bike first... grease, spokes, fluids, etc. Two things concern me, I've heard the jetting is way fat stock...LTR jet kit is good? And......... 2.2 gal tank stock? We need a tank to get us 55-60 miles between gas stops, got advice on Clark vs IMS?
Thanks

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
COMBEN said:
idle jet 45
needle one clip lean
175 main

worked for me :nod:
Thanks.
Yours is an 01? And what altitude and temp are you jetted for?

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Oversized tank question still applys..........my 18 year old is really hauling the mail (he doesn't know the term "trail ride".........MAYBE 15 mpg on his 125).

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I haven't heard anything bad about the fit of IMS or Clark. I prefer the looks of the IMS but if I was buying I'm not sure that I would be willing to part with the extra money.

jlk_250

Jul 8, 2003
I just put a Clarke tank on my '01 XC300. On the '01s you need their latest version because the original mold did not accommodate the upper shock mount on the '01s. They say you need an '03-'06 seat but with some effort (relocating the seat brackets) you can make an '01 seat fit. The radiator shrouds don't quite line up right and stick out wider than stock. Other than that the fit was excellent and it appears to be a quality product. With a few more tweaks they'd get it nailed but it's okay as is.

Jon

Top Bottom