DareDevil

Jun 7, 2002
I have been noticing some fuel somehow getting around the threads on my gas tank and leaking out all over the place very subtle like, where I dont notice it until I take off my seat to do something and there is a bunch of nasty, muddy, yucky premix all over the gas tank down there lol. What could be causing this? The vent line is not clogged, and the threads on the tank and cap show no visible damage. And I know im tightening it down enough lol. Thank for any help.

"Its not how fast you go, its how you go fast"
98' Kawasaki Kx 250

DareDevil

Jun 7, 2002
Ok, thanx, I'll pick one up today. how much would a tank cap cost (just a ball park estimate)? and if a new one doesnt fix the problem, will I have to buy a new fuel tank? (which I know costs way too darn much)

98 Kawasaki Kx 250

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I had an old IT125 that had the same problem. I found that the gasket had hardened and wasn`t doing much good. I went to the local auto parts store and picked up a sheet of cork gasket material for a couple of bucks. Just take out the old gasket, trace it on the cork, cut it out, install. Good luck in fixing your bike.

Steve

Racer_x4

Aug 6, 2001
My tank used to leak some but that was because I filled the tank all the way to the top and it would spew out while riding it, you might be putting too much gas in as well, don't fill it up any higher than the base of the neck of the tank. Also I would say that a ballpark estimate for a new gas tank cap is probably around $15-$25 if it's OEM. There's my two cents anyways :confused:

zilla

Nov 4, 2001
The culprit is more than likely the tank itself at the filler hole.. Check to see if the top of the filler hole is nicked or scratched.. If it is you can reface it with a small flat block of wood and some sandpaper.. Gas will find it's way through the smallest scratch or nick and drool around the treads.. My KTM wasn a perpetual leak and no amount of tightening/new gasket/new gascap stopped it.. I refaced and removed the scratch. Goodbye leak.

Top Bottom