Dogboy

Jul 20, 2001
Very interested in a gas gas 200.This site is very cool an helpful .I live in northern mid tenn and the closest dealer(that i know of) is about 200 miles away.So im surfin for any info i can find.Im aware of ggna.com,would really like some way to see some more detailed info on the bikes like ktm's have a real nice pamplet that shows lots of details.Does GG have such a pamplet?? Would also like to know if there are any more sites like this with good forums that would include GG.Also any comments from owners on how you feel about your GG.:think

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Dogboy- You must have read that article in Trail Rider mag. It piqued my interest ,too.
Does anyone know of any recent magazine tests on any gas gas's? I know, I know, the mags suck, but I want to read them anyway. :)

Dogboy

Jul 20, 2001
VIC,Somewhere in here i read that may 2001 dirt rider has an article on a 250 GG.I buy DR and DB from the book store every month,but missed that one.Figures...Yes i did read that trail rider article.Im not afraid of a better mouse trap,but i do want to have my facts straight before i buy one.I just want a KTM 200 with better rear suspension and a milder powerband .GG seems to have that.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Dogboy- I found the article. If you have access to a fax machine, I would be happy to fax it to you. Just send me the fax number in a private message.

Dogboy

Jul 20, 2001
Scott in KC I dont know which article,but go to trailrider.com an you'll find it.:cool:Also VIC check your PM's..

Last edited:

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Doggy, I have'nt had a chance to ride either of the 200's, though I have searched every post on the subjects with either bike involved. both bikes are great machines and have a good repatation, and there rider's seem to love the bike that they ride. The result's are (to me anyway) seem to favor the GG over the KTM, my reason's are: fit a person of my size (5'8" tall) a little better, more of a mellow powerband, (I like 4-stroke type power more than a burst) most of the reports say that the KTM is more like a 125 on steriods than a mellow 250, and everyone say's that the GG is a better turning bike. Components on both bikes are top notch, even though there are more KTM dealers around, parts seem to be harder to get !, I spoke to my local GG dealer and he told me that if he dosnt have the part in stock and has to order it, the part is free !! A Member in my club race's a XC200 and holds the #1 plate in his devision, he say's the bike is very dependable, and very smooth.
forgot to mention to call the Cook's at SMS, you will be very impressed the those guy's, I call a few weeks back and couldnt get off the phone ! They love to talk about bikes.
Hope this helps
Bob

Last edited:

Dogboy

Jul 20, 2001
Teton,good name one of my favorite places.Sounds like were lookin for the same kind of power.Im 6'1" but have read that a GG200 is a little bigger than a KTM200.Ill agree with the 125 on steroids ive ridden a 200exc an it was a little bit of a handful in the tight stuff,seems like it needs a fast rider or more room to breath.FREE PARTS!!!where do i sign up thats interesting.The cooks at SMS?? whats SMS.Looks like you have a 250F and still cant start it,thats my big concern about the new 4 strokes,I really like the wr250f but not being able to get something started would make me want to push it off a cliff,SO.... ill wait untill they get all that ironed out..

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Dogboy
.The cooks at SMS?? whats SMS.

Jim Cook (and his son Josh) at Smackover Motorsports. Jim's been a Gas Gas dealer and rider for a long time plus he's one of the truly decent guys in the motorcycle business. He'll take the time to talk to you about the GGs and help you find the one that fits your needs.

www.smackovermotorsports.com

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Dogster, Click on the link above to check out SMS's web site, get the phove # and give them Cook's a call, I talked to Jim for a solid hour about GG's and there shop, you might even be able to find a near by race that they will be at and he will let you try out his bike. From what I have read you should fit the GG fine, its ergo's are geared for a 6'er and under but there are quite a few guy's that are over 6' that fit the bike and like it's ergo's. Yes, them Yamie's can be tuff to start after a stall, a few have had no troubles, on the real trails though if you drop or dump it, your buddies will leave you to the wolf to feed there young. Thats the only place the starting is bad. Cold or normal on/off conditions there is no problem's, some guy's are complaining that the hotter it gets the harder it is to start. The power delivery is good, I think that the YZF is a little light in the flywheel for most of us offroader's and the sus. is way to stiff too, but I would still rather start with a YZF than a WR, the Wr needs to many mods to make it run like a YZF and for my taste's both bikes cost's are high, then add in some major bucks for the go fast stuff.
That's the reason Im looking at the GG, or KTM 200's, they are much lighter in weight and should make you feel like a hero riding them, I think it boils down to the power delivery that you prefer, I like the smoother and more controlled delivery than a gas it and hold on del., I also like the smoother ride and a good turning bike, seems like the GasGas is it, they also will be shipping there 250 four stroke bike soon and it has a magic "E" button !!
You cant really go wrong with either bike, both should be fun. I would like to read a real shoot-out with a GG200,KTM200,KDX200 (modified of course) and the 250 four stroke bike's, let's forget about anything bigger than a 250, they are for guy's with ego trip's! HAHA just kidding !!;)

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
You guys, go with the GasGas, you won't be sorry. I've seen many hot, dead YZ/WR F250s in the woods this summer, not ridden by spodes either. They don't like to get hot in tight woods and stall. Also, if the going gets real tough, from what I've seen they tend to boil a bit. My GasGas dealer has a nice one that was raced twice and traded in on a GG200 after the rider lost 30 mins starting it each time. He just had to let it cool off to start it. I'm interested in the GasGas FSE 250, but I'll ride my my 2-stroke XC for another year (not such a hardship) and wait for second year production.

grunk250r

Nov 16, 1999
00'vs.01'200 main bearings

Rumor has it that these bearings were improved on the 01's after some 00' failures...can anyone substantiate this???

THANKS

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I bought a Gas Gas EC 250 3 1/2 months ago, its a great bike. Jim Cook at Smackover is definetly a great guy. It's nice to call a shop, talk to the owner of the shop that actually races the same brand of bike. He will help you in any way he can. Thier website is awesome. I would put it up against any brand specific site there is.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
I heard the change was more for ease of case assembly and service, as the bearings are said to be tapered roller types on the ignition side now. It is possible, with the '97 - '00 design, to push the ignition side crank seal in too far during assembly, partially blocking the oil hole, as there is no lip in the case. There were a few early '98 bikes like this, but they were warrantied and there were no more problems. Talking to Jim Cook at Smackover Motorsports, you will find the only bikes that they have rebuilt lower ends on were older '97s and '98s with substantial milage. Jim is one of the best, no BS guys in the business, so if he says there was no problem, you can rest easy.

Top Bottom