enduro400

Oct 19, 2001
Just bought a 99 KDX 220 , Just wondering what oil is everyone running in the gear box? Have'nt bought a service manual yet!

Thanks in advance

prk03

~SPONSOR~
Jun 24, 2002
yes I use 10w40 castrol full quart. The 10w40 doesnt have the energy conserving additive or something like that. Look at the circle thing on the bottle and compare 10w40 and 10w30 castrol. I have had no problems with 10w40 castrol and change after every enduro or 50 miles. kdx200 01

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
The most popular is to use Mobil 1 15-50 synthetic. Don't have to change it quite as often as with regular non synthetic motor oils. Another option is to use ATF Type F. Yeah.....transmission fluid but it must be type F. I have used both with great success. Whatever you use the most important thing is to change it often. Change it every couple of rides.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
When you add oil to your KDX fill it to the top of the sight glass to reduce engine noise a little and give you some added volume. Lots of guys just dump the whole quart in which is simple and gives you an oil level just over the sight glass.

Enjoy the new to you bike.

David

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
I use straight 80 Weight which is supposed to be equivalent to 10W40, (I think its that...or it's 10W30) It that Gear saver stuff. I use about 3/4's of the bottle

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
The KDX transmission is a little finicky with oil. That dreaded first to second missed upshift will rear it's ugly head and overall shift feel can be temperamental. I had the best results with Mobil 1 redcap 15-50. It didn't cure all the shifting woes but helped a little and the KDX would let me know shifting wise when it was time for an oil change. I heard of guys mixing this oil with ATF too -don't know about that if it works and blends well or not. Some guys use ATF and change it after every ride. I've used Castrol GTX 10W-40 too and I liked the Mobil 1 better. I've had no problems with clutch slippage using the newer Super Syn either. I run the M1-15-50 in my KTM tranny and as motor oil in both the Hondas.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I caught neutral all the time when I used Kawasaki 10-w40. Switching to the Castrol Syntec 5-w50 full synthetic helped alot. I hardly ever do that anymore.

Top Bottom