gearbox or airfilter oil coming out of airbox...

ridersean

Mar 30, 2003
this has been happening for a while i suspect a bad crankcase seal i will change to synthetic motor oil and see if the color changes thanks in advance

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Mine was doing that back in the day when I was using motor oil instead of filter oil...;)

I've heard somewhere's that switching from regular oil to synthetic can be hard on your clutch.

Seems like it would be easier to switch filter oil over to something like Notoil, then if it drips you will no for sure where it is coming from

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
I've been using 100% synthetic ( not a hydro crack ) in my bikes ( thumpers and 2-smokers ) for 6 years.
No clutch problems at all.

Some people re-route their gearbox oil overflow to the airbox ( donno why ).
If you are not the first owner check that one out.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Some people re-route their gearbox oil overflow to the airbox ( donno why ).
If you are not the first owner check that one out.

Yeah, maybe that small hole at the top left hand side of the airbox got there by an accident ;)

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The gearbox breather/overflow line is routed to the airbox to appease the EPA. There isn't any functional reason for it to vent to the airbox.

bh

Nov 26, 2001
My bike leaks oil out of the crankcase breather tube after i ride it. Is it because it is supposed to be routed to the airbox?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'There isn't any functional reason for it to vent to the airbox.'

Of course there is.......to act as a plug for that hole wibby mentioned. Which is on the RIGHT hand side, btw in 'H' model bikes.

Reading a repeat of 'changing to syn' after it's stated 'changing is a problem' makes me wonder.

Indeed changing from a mineral oil to a synthetic may have harmful effects on your clutch plates.

Has nothing to do with USING a synthetic. The point is CHANGING to a synthetic.

Not uncommon with different families of fluids. Try 'changing' from DOT-4 to DOT-5 brake fluid for example. ;)

(That's a silly comment to make a point of the obvious. Don't do it.)

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
And from my experience with racing street bikes, new clutches are typically fine switching from regular oil to synthetic... but if you switch to synthetic on a bike with old clutch parts, it will often times cause the clutch to slip.

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
Sorry to resurrect this thread - I ride with ridersean - the thing spews oil out the tranmission vent tube - regardless of what kind of oil is in the transmission, is this normal, and if it's not are there any known typical causes and/or fixes?

Thanks

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
is he over filling it? what do you mean by spewing oil, does he have to add oil after every ride. i fill mine to top of glass and ive never seen any oil come out of it. unless he took the seat off and looked while riding it around or if hes using an air filter oil that isnt red how do u know where it came from. atf is red. are you sure its tranny oil, not too much air filter oil?

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
probably around 50-100ml leaks out of the breather tube on a normal ride - yesterday it seemed like it got bad during some steep stuff - no, it's not overfilled, I filled it myself to half way up the glass when level just before we left.

It is definately tranny oil because we took the breather off the airbox to verify.

thinking either there is a missing valve/shield or possibly too much crankcase pressure from a bad main seal?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Other things (some mentioned already) being OK...if it's 'spewing' oil out the vent tube, his crank seals are shot.

It's not normal (except in bikes that have shot seals! ;) )

The fix? Split the cases. Replace the seals. ..and all the other stuff you 'should' do while the cases are in pieces.

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
that was my first thought too since the bike is a 92 and it's got lots of hours on it. We're planning on sending it to EG for a full meal deal at the end of the summer, so we'll know more then!

Top Bottom