Gearing (again)

know_fear

May 19, 2000
My buddy just bought a '97 KDX220 that has had very little wear and only a few changes from stock. When I tried it on the tight trails I noticed that it was geared way higher than my '00 220 (I'm running 13 to 48 sprockets). When we checked his sprockets they were 12 to 47 which should make his bike lower geared than mine. What gives? Were changes made between model years '97 and '00 which would explain this?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
No difference in gearing between 97 an 00. Your engine may just run a lot better than his.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
For one thing, he is geared lower, not higher. A higher numerical ratio is a 'lower' gear. The initial impression that his bike was geared 'higher' (if stated correctly) is where BRush's point of view comes in.

OEM final drive is 13/47 (US anyway. I don't know that is true for overseas or canadian bikes). That makes neither of your bikes 'oem' (3.61:1).

Your bike is 3.69, his is 3.91.

Changing the countershaft sprocket from 13 to 12 is a fairly common modification. Certainly more common that changing from 47 to 48.

You probably knew all that.

Which kinda brings it all 'round to what BRush said...again. ;)

Sounds like his 'very little wear' bike may be harboring some surprises.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…