Status
Not open for further replies.

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
I am a little new to motor cycle mechanics. I have a question to ask about sporckets sizes, gear rations and speed versus torque output. The KDX 200 was equipted from the factory with a 14/47 gear. I would like to make mine a little faster about 60 to 65 M.P.H. at a comfortable R.P.M. range, as we are making it street legal. I am going off of my knowledge of bicycle gears as a starting point. On a bicycle if you use a bigger ring in the front and a smaller ring in the rear you get less torque and more top end and vice versa. Here in lies my problem. The gear set on a motor cycle is reversed. So does this then reverse the way the gears work. Smaller in front means more top end less torque or should it work the same. If I went to 15/48 would i get more top end or more torque. Please help, I really need it.

Thanks,

Jim Boston

MUDMAX

Jan 7, 2003
You get the same effect on a motorcycle than on a bicycle...Bigger on front mean more speed-less torque.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
Stock is actually a 13 up front.

I don't know about HP and torque, but a bigger sprocket up front and/or a larger sprocket in the rear is what you need.

Both my '87 and '94 were clocked at 70 mph, top speed, full throttle/RPM, as fast as she will go/shut 'er down before you blow 'er up.

hunter1

Feb 27, 2004
Less teeth on the rear sprocket will increase your top end but you will have a reduction in torque.

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
thanks every body this has helped! i went with a 14/46. And stock or factory equipt was 13/47 so i went up 1 tooth up front and 1 out the rear. KAY DEE EXER i wish mine had titties it's got alot of balls but no titties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom