kdxmadman04

Mar 9, 2003
hi i want to re gear my bike when i put new sprockets on i was wondering what i would do to lower the gearing just a touch it has stock sized sprockets on it now and its a 2000 kdx 200 with a o ring chain but it has 6 gears and id ont need to go over 60 with it so how do i lower the gearing?? more teeth in back or less???? less or more up front sprockets??? let me know thanks!!

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
yes, to lower the gearing go with less teeth in the front or more in the rear.....but Jeff Freddet said to me at a GNCC that the stock gearing is the best, and i myself have found that to be true also.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I guess that would depend on the terrain. Because mine is stock and it is to high geared for really steep terrain. I suppose a lighter weight rider than myself may have a better ride with this gearing but not me.
I'm gonna try a 12 tooth and see if that will help me in the steep stuff.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
I just picked up new front and rear JT steel sprockets 13/47 today and a new o-ring chain. The chain is 112 links and the old o-ring my bike is 108 by my count. None the less the sales guy at the race shop here in MA was sure the 112 link chain would be fine. Is he correct or am I going to be grinding/pounding pins out tomarrow?

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
MRobbins... where in Massachusetts are you from. im from west bridgewater which is next to brockton, which is about 30 miles south of Boston

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
The stock chain length is 108 links - that's for the stock 13/47 sprocket combination. If you run 13/50 sprockets, then you'll need 110 links (I run this combo and like it better than stock for extreme NE technical conditions). Either way 112 links is too long.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Wibby - Thats what I said, but the shop was out chain breakers. Then I asked if they would break the chain and I was told 112 would be fine. I'll just wait till later this week when I can pick up a breaker at another shop.

KDXFreestyle - I am about 15 miles north of Boston and usually ride in Foxboro/Wrentham MA or in souththern NH.

BRush- Thanks, I may try the 50T rear next time. I will get a breaker and shorten up for now.

:|

Last edited:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I recently put a new O-ring chain on my bike. I thought I could just count the links and cut the chain the same as the old one. The one I replaced had 108 links but it was not an O-ring chain. I broke the new one down to 108 and put it on my bike and I was 3-4 links short.
So I figured out the hard way, just take the old one off, lay it on the work bench and place the new one beside it and match up the length.

It's really fun putting the links back on! :ugg:

The master link is no joy either, I had to use the chain breaker to press the plate on. I don't know how you'd do it with out the breaker??

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Wibby - When I bought the sprockets and chain I got a Motion Pro master link press. You really need both, but the shop was out of the chain breakers at the time. For sure I will measaure the chains against each other before breaking anything.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
The chain breaker works pretty good at pressing the masterlink on, you just have to reach through the spokes. :laugh:

twocycle

Feb 21, 2002
So with the same number of links and pitch Orings are shorter than regular chains? I bought a used 89 KDX that came with 13/45 and 110 link oring chain. What is the largest rear sprocket I can go to without changing the chain?

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Mrobbins, isn't that strike two for Brockton Cycle?

They sound like peckaheads to me.

They should have honored your request to break the chain down for you.

Suggestion: Find another dealer. :|

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom