saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
We have a course here that I am constantly switching between 2nd and 3rd gear. I am in 2nd 60-75% of the time and 3rd 25-40%. I would like to switch that and be in 3rd more. Would a 12 tooth up front be dramatic enough to make 3rd have enough bottom end to compensate for 2nd gear?

I know that it would be best to go with a larger rear sprocket, but then I would have to add links to my chain and buy a larger chain slider. I am trying to stay on a budget and I don't think this is the best approach for my financial situation right now. When everything DOES get worn down and I DO have to buy a new chain, both sprockets and chain slider, what will my best ratio be? 13/51? (Does this require a 110 link chain?)

If a 12t up front will do what I'm hoping will I need to remove a link out or will it work with the stock sized chain?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Drop 1 tooth up front = 3 or 4 teeth larger in the rear.

Having done it myself, I can say you WILL notice the difference. It could be more change than you want . . . but hey, a front sprocket is only like $15-$18, so go for it.

KDteX00

Feb 4, 2006
I recently tried it too, and found the difference to be too much for my liking. Significant low-end torque gain, but alot more shifting (as expected). For your particular track it might be just what you are looking for.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
There is a good chance that you will have to take out a link, it depends on how much adjustment is left at the axle. Also, if the chain is worn, the life of a new sprocket will be dramatically reduced. Of course, steel won't wear as fast as aluminum. Most fronts are steel, the rear can go either way.

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
Thanks alot guys, sounds like I'm on the right track but it might be too much. I will try it out, it very well might be perfect for our course.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
You can go to a 50T in the rear, prolly just about right for you. BTW, I did not have to get a new slider/guide with the larger rear sprocket, although I did have to get a 110 link chain.

Top Bottom