depock

Mar 25, 2008
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 6'4"/220ILBS
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? NOT AGGRESSIVE
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? WANT TO EXPLORE CLEARED BACK COUNTRY TRAILS, LOGGING ROADS
4) Do you have any riding experience? YEARS AGO, OFF ROAD ON 250CC TWO-STROKES
5) Do you think you will race ? NEVER
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? NOT MECHANICALLY INCLINED, BUT WOULD LIKE TO LEARN
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? NO PREFERENCE
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? DEALERS NEARBY, ALL BRANDS
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? CONSIDERING USED TO START OFF, OR 4K NEW
10) Do you live in California? NO
11) Your age? 54
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion WHAT'S THE MINIMUM LEVEL OF PROTECTIVE GEAR WORN BY MOST OFF ROAD BIKERS DOING NON-AGGRESSIVE BIKING?

My hope is to spend this summer getting reacquainted with biking, develop my skills and confidence, using a smaller bike so I don't get into too much trouble, then upgrading next summer to a bigger bike, so used is probably preferable unless you advise otherwise. I envision some off-trail use, but primarily using logging roads and trails to get deep into the local national forests. Will have to deal with steep grades.

Thanks for any advice.

Apr 30, 2007
Honda CRF 250 F (or X)

This one should do the trick, as it's not souped up for racing. There's plenty of power to be had, but easily controllable.
The prices I found ranged from 2,500 for a 2003 used F model, to 3,999 for an unused carryover X model.

The X model has lights and Electric start (if memory serves), and can be made street legal. The F model would be lighter, as there is no battery to add the few extra pounds.

If you want to go a bit cheaper, I'd try looking for a used Honda XR 250.

You may easily find a 98-2002 model for less than 2 grand on E(vil)Bay. I've ridden them before, and are the friendlyiest and most easy going bike I've ever been on!

They're like the faithful old golden retrievers as far as motorcycles go.

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
yessah

yup, i think the crf 250 would be fine if not more then ideal, it has plenty of power, yet easy to control, and you probably would never need a biger bike after it, they move and are very comfortable, ive ridden one before, one without lights, so whatever that would be, the f i guess, and my friend has never had a problem with it. altho, the xr is promising to :)

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
depock said:
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? WANT TO EXPLORE CLEARED BACK COUNTRY TRAILS, LOGGING ROADS

Worth considering is a KTM450exc. They are costly brand new but you can get them tagged for the street pretty easily.

It is a great, and legal, way to get from trail to trail utilizing public roads.

Having said that the WR250F, YZ250F, CRF250 and CR250x lines are great bikes if you can find a used one in good condition.

Ivan

depock

Mar 25, 2008
Will do. I looked at the Kawasaki's this morning, Honda's tomorrow.

One bit of feedback I missed is what sort of protective gear you all wear. I'm most concerned about protecting my back, neck and head. Everything else I've already broken a few times. I don't want to go overboard with the gear, but don't want to skimp either.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
The basics would be a helmet, boots, chest protector, goggles and gloves. You can get a neck brace, and kidney belt and stuff like that, but for trials and not really being aggressive you shouldn't have to worry about that that much.

I would find a CRF250X electric start and a nice overall trails bike. But maintenance is still about the same as a full blown MX bike (ABOUT)

A XR250 or up is a nice tamed, very easy going, almost maintenance free bike. (beside normal stuff like oil change, air filter)

I would stay away from the Kawasaki KLX's (unless your getting the KLX450r) the rest are underpowered, and not to good of an overall bike.

The Yamaha WR250F are nice two (comparable to the CRF250X).

There is also the Legendary KDX200 or 220R. Very easy nice friendly trial 2-stroke. Pretty easy in the maintenance area, and you can get them cheap.

Happy shopping!

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I wear the following on every ride...

Helmet (I just bought a Shoei for $293 from Rocky Mtn ATV but there are other good alternatives for a little less)
Goggles
Asterisk Knee Braces.
boots
Pants (I like MSR and Fox)
Jersey (I like MSR and Fox)
Gloves
Kidney belt
Chest Protector (I like Acerbis)
Elbow/Forearm Protector

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Dirt Rider (the magazine) did a long term test on the Yamaha WR250F and they said that was the most capable and reliable off road 250F they had tested, and that there was nothing they could do to break it. You might consider going that direction...

About the protective gear, I always wear a helmet and riding boots. Those are the two things that I absolutely ALWAYS wear...

Apr 30, 2007
Helmet - MUST!! You can buy them on clearance for great prices!

Goggles - Or a pair of shatterproof sunglasses if I'm not racing.

Boots - For your riding style, you could go with a pair of sturdy over the ankle work boots, but they will not protect you from shin slapping branches, branches that pull your feet off pegs, or branches that try stab your ankles/lower legs.

Chest protector - I never ride without mine. Plastic skids along gravel/sticks/dirt WAY better than my...female frontal anatomy. (I value them muchly).

I will NOT ride without all of the above. I will not ride with anyone who does not wear all of the above (exception of chest protector - that depends on the situation).

Gloves - I prettymuch always wear them too. They protect knuckles really well - I always manage to give myself a terrible scrape or cut (or get whipped by some evil twig) if I don't have them on.

Pants - Jeans should suffice, even better if you can find a pair of kevlar lined "draggin' jeans" (they're spendy though). Motocross pants can a little tougher, some have a little hip protection, and are more ventilated!

Long sleeved shirt - Is worth it. If it's hot out, a jersey will allow for better ventilation.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom