kfxpro

May 17, 2004
I come from mostly a 4 stroke background, but I am starting to enjoy riding 2 strokes. I think that I fell into the rut believing that 2 strokes were high maintence and unreliable. After taking my old KDX 175 for a few trail rides I am starting to belive the opposite and I have a couple of general questions about modern KDXs. How well would a newer model KDX deal with faster speeds for a distance? Where I ride there are fireroads that connect the woodsy trails. Sometimes you will have to ride about 10-15 min. going at a fast pace, (around 50-60 mph.) Another question would be how often do newer model KDX's need the top end rebuilt, once a season, less? What about just rings? I guess I am looking for some 2 stroke support since everybody I ride with owns a 4 stroke and 2 strokes are becoming more rare these days.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
The latest model KDX will handle those fireroads without any problem. Top end rebuilds are on track with how hard you ride the bike as well as how long. For example, someone just tooling around in the woods at a lesurely pace say once or twice a month during a 6 month long riding season, might not need to inspect the top end for several years, whereas someone who rides hard every weekend and races in events like an enduro would need to check things over at least every season.
Near as I can tell, the new style 4 strokes are on about the same schedule for maintenance. With that being the case, I would much rather tear down and bebuild a 2 stroke top end than a 4 stroke.
Hope this helps.

kfxpro

May 17, 2004
I do agree about the new breed of 4 strokes, what a nightmare to work on! :yikes: You better start saving your pennies for a top end rebuild on a new 4 stroke!

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
the maintenance on a two stroke is simple change the tranny oil and use good fuel and premix oil. 50 to 60 mph all day long. and you would love the light wheight bikes so controlable. top ends on my friends bikes litteraly last them for 3 to 4 years and ridding i would say some hard use mostly i would say medium duty. and then as previously said a top end is a sinch.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
If you aren't a bike abuser a mild 2 stroke will last a long time without needing a rebuild. My dad rode his 96 KDX 200 for 2 easy years, then I had it for 2 years or decently hard abuse. Most the riding was tight trails, which are slow going and not hard on the motor, but it also ran a few dozen motocross events and wide open sand trails and hills. We figure there was probably 3000 miles or so on it by the time compression got down around 105 psi. Rings and a piston later it was good as new. May not have been the best mantinance schedual for it, but the thing never gave use any problems.

Now, I also owned a 94 YZ 125 that took a top end every summer. Like JasonWho said, it has a lot to do with the state of tune of the motor. A 400 hp big block will last forever. A 400 hp 4-banger might fall apart in 10,000 miles. So a 28 hp 200 will live a much longer and happier life than a 35 hp 125.

kfxpro

May 17, 2004
I think my main problem is not knowing what I really want to ride off road. After years of not riding anything due to college, work etc. I decided to get a quad. I went out and picked up a Quadsport 250 and quickly decided it was too small for me. I searched for a new ride and had it narrowed down to either a KLX 300 bike or a KFX 400 quad. I went with the quad, but I know my true love is bikes. I was a little intimidated about buying a dirt bike after not riding one for years. I know you can get hurt just as fast on a quad, but they take so much less skill to ride than a bike! The quad is fast, and its fun, but on trails I hate having to worry about ground clearance. I bought an aftermarket swingarm skid for it and I have had to straighten it about 5 different times already. Anyway, to satisfy my need for a bike I picked up a very nice KDX 175. I love riding it but I think it may have sparked my interest in getting a newer dirt bike. I don't know, sorry for rambling, I kind of got off topic. :ugg:

Top Bottom