Getting back into it again, but what bike?

JediRye

Mar 12, 2001
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'9 160lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you? I would say fairly passive but slightly agressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Trials, fields with friends, maybe some MX
4) Do you have any riding experience? Yes
5) Do you think you will race ? Possibly... Maybe. Eh?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? I wish.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Kawasaki
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Yes, Kawasaki/Honda
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? 2-3k
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion Yes

I am 20 years old and when I was roughly sixteen I received a 2000 KX125 for my first bike. I have never really ridden anything but that, but I enjoyed that very much. To be quite honest, however, my father feared me getting hurt so I never went riding a whole lot. I also did not have a lot of friends to go riding with. I only sold that bike six months ago, if that. I kept my gear because I still had planned to get a bike again, I loved it so much. I was deciding between getting another 125 or I just recently read about the kx 250f's. I was hoping to get something easier to maintain, as that is my only drawback. I am unsure of whether a 2 stroke or 4 stroke would fit the bill. Any opinions?

Thanks!

-rye

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Check out the KDX 220

Senior C

Feb 27, 2006
I agree a 4st is not going to be easier to maintain. The kdx would be a great bike to trail ride or even enduro but would not be very great on the motocross track. I have a 03 kx 125 set up for the woods which is my sons bike. It has the oversize piston in it and seems to work well in the woods and the mx track. It is for sale by the way.

JediRye

Mar 12, 2001
Approximately how much more difficult/intricate is a four stroke from a two stroke? I don't know a thing about bikes, but my boyfriend's dad does so he will be teaching us about maintenance, etc. He has worked on mostly four strokes so that is why I was contemplating the KX250F. I plan to be riding with my boyfriend and his friends; they will be on ATVs. Does that change anything?

I have been searching places and have found a handful of the four strokes in my price range so I didn't think that was an issue.

Thanks for the replies!
-rye

JediRye

Mar 12, 2001
If anything, does anyone know any good questions(and that accompanying answers) to ask about a used four stroke? I think I'm going to go with the KX250F as I see a lot of good ones in my area, ranging from 2004-2006.

Thanks!

-rye

Top Bottom