Getting back into it need some help

DSelect

Apr 15, 2006
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) - 5' 10" 185
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? - Moderate
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? - Woods/Fields
4) Do you have any riding experience? - Last time was 10 years ago
5) Do you think you will race ? - No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? - I will do my own work
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? - No preferance
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? - All brands are close by
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? Right now i have like 1500 but i could save more in time.

Hey guys I have been reading your forums for sometime now, they are very helpful. I just moved to NC from FL. I figured with all the open fields around a dirt bike would be perfect. The problem is that I don’t really know anyone around here. So I am a little hesitant about getting a used bike, being out of riding for 10 years I don’t really know what to look for. The last bike I owned was a 70 something XR80, but I rode my friends 80 something CR80, so I know what a 2 and 4 stroke feel like. But you see my dilemma. I was just going to wait and get I new bike (like the YZ250f) so I didn’t have to worry about buying a piece of junk that would just brake down right after I bought it. But I don’t have that much to spend and I {my wife} don’t really like making payments. I found some bikes in the local traders that are in my budget but I don’t know if they are worth it maybe you guys could let me know what you think.

1994 KX 125 for $1100.00 like 30 min away.

2000 YZ 125 for $1800.00 like 2 hours away.( is it wourth the trip you think)

I have not gone to see them yet just wanted to know if they are even worth it, and if so with would you guys go for?

Thanks for the help

DSelect

Apr 15, 2006
What to look for

Also what would be some of things that i should look for. When buying a used bike. I know that it's easy to make the outside look new, and still have major probluems in other areas.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
One thing I found useful was to ask the guy on the phone about specific things like:

What condition is the plastic in?

Condition of chain and sprockets?

Condition of tires?

Date of last top end rebuild?

etc. . .

If you get there to look at the bike and he's been honest with you about the plastic and the other obvious stuff, then he's probably being honest about the top end, clutch, etc. . .

I had one guy be only partly honest on the plastic and stuff, and I felt like I couldn't trust him.

The guy I bought off of told me exactly where the crack was in the right number plate, and that a rear wheel bearing was getting loose.

When he told me he had just changed the piston and ring, I believed him.

Search on google or yahoo for "How to buy a used bike" articles. They'll give you lots of pointers. There are lots of posts on here as well.

BTW, I found great deals for my bro and I. 2002 RM 125 for $1500.00 and 2000 KX250 for $1500.00.

That might be a bit much to expect, but you can find really good deals if you look long enough. I spent about a month finding the 2 bikes.

DSelect

Apr 15, 2006
125 or 250

I have read that you have to keep 125s reved high to make power, while 250s have more low end and mid range punch. I will be useing the bike just to play around in feilds, wood trails and jumps around the house. Do you think that i should be looking at 250s rather then 125s? Would a 250 be to much for me to handale? The last bike i rode was a CR 80 and that was like 13 years ago.

DSelect

Apr 15, 2006
250 2s or 250 4s

Just so it's clear 250 2 stroke or 250 4 stroke. i heard 4s are more maintenance then 2s. I'm sure that with a manual i will be able to do most of my own work, but i don't want to get in over my head. And end up doing work wrenching they rideing.

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
If i where you, I'd go with a smoker,There easy to maintain fairly cheap(parts also) and a blast to ride, But do yourself a favor and get a 250!! When you go to buy one really ride it awhile, A fair amount of seat time will tell you if it's a peice of junk or not!! If the guy wants you to come over to his house and doesn't have a place to ride, ask him to go with you to the closest place so you can really check it out!!

Top Bottom