Getting back into it . . . what should I look at . . . ?

HosLaw

Mar 18, 2005
I rode 50's and (if I remember correctly) an 80 when I was a kid. I'd like to get back into riding (CA high & low deserts mostly), but don't want to spend a ton of money off the bat. If I enjoy getting back into it, maybe I'll upgrade.

I'm 6'1", 210lbs, and I'm 32 yrs old - not overly aggressive, but also not a wallflower. I'm fairly mechanical (do all the service on my trucks, and have worked on Harleys), but have no experience working on dirt bikes

I'd like to get something for +/- $2,000. Reliability and ease of maintenance would be the most important things to me - followed by enough torque to have fun!

Some friends have pointed to the Honda XR500 or CR500's from the 80's or early 90's as being bombproof and easy to take care of. I was told that a 4-stroke is easier to maintain & avoids the fuel-mixing hassle.

What do ya'll think - agree/disagree? Any other bikes anyone can recommend? Anyone have something they'd like to sell? Can anyone recommend a used bike dealership in SoCal (preferably the Inland Empire)?

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
HosLaw,
I'm same age, roughly same height, and hover around 200 lbs. I cam back to riding bikes after a 10 yr break and the last bikes I had ridden were an XR100 and RM80. The two bikes that come to mind that are (a) close to bullet proof, (b) "not overly aggressive, but also not a wallflower" and (c) around $2k used but in good shape would be KDX220 and the XR400. The only thing that makes me unsure is "CA high & low deserts mostly"...I've never ridden in a desert, high or low, and I know that is where the big bore 2strokes and 4strokes shine.

Personally, I am riding a KDX220 and love it. I'd describe my riding style about the same way you did, but I am riding tight trails in the Appalacian Mtns.

KDXman_88

Jul 27, 2004
you are the right size for a KX500. and for the riding you do it is perfect. and i am not going to get into the 2vs4 stroke battle but the top ends are cheaper and easier to replace. and mixing fuel is not that bad.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
KDXs are wonderful bikes. But if you want gobs and gobs of torque AND low maintenance, a 500 two stroke is a great option. Big bores don't rev high and don't require top ends as often as 125s or 250s.

Just be careful with the throttle control.

HosLaw

Mar 18, 2005
Woo Hoo!

:cool:

I just purchased a 1991 CR500 - bike has been extensively upgraded by the owner who works at a cycle shop. Came with 4 spare tires (2 paddles), new plastics, etc. It is in very good condition and as powerful as all get-out! Wheelied in second on the test drive without trying!

Thank you all for your input - I think I got a good one. See ya'll at Dumont! I'll be the guy holding on for dear life!

:)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom