sk8z27

Oct 26, 2009
i grew up with dirtbikes and am looking to get another used one. i've been away from the scene for about 25 years now. i used to own a dr 80, yz80, and a 1984 kx 125. i stopped riding at 14, i'm 38 now. i pretty much stopped riding in 1985, but am now looking to get back into it. i've been away so long that i don't know what's good anymore. do i go 2 or 4 stroke? i'm not going to race, but just do some trail riding and possibly hit a mx track every once in a while. i'd also like to get it to ride with my nephew who's 9 years old. who makes a good used bike nowadays that i'm not going to break the bank on. $1500 is my price range. any advice appreciated.

sk8z27

Oct 26, 2009
i'm 5'5", 138lbs. i'd say i'll ride semi aggressive while being a little on the safe side, as i don't feel like getting injured anymore. while i've been away from motocross, i've owned street motorcycles and race bicycles, both road and mt. bikes. i'm really wanting to spend around $1500, but not sure what are good bikes and which ones(models and years) to stay away from. for instance i know a guy who bought an 86 kawasaki(not sure about the year), but couldn't find any parts for it or something like that. i want to keep it around 2000 or better, but want to know which bikes to stay away from or definetly look into. i'd like to keep it at that price. also, am i looking at 2 stroke or 4? does it even matter anymore? i'm partial to 2 strokes because that's what i grew up on. i'd like to buy something i don't have to work on right away, but i've got enough mechanical ability to work on it if broke. like i said, which years and makes are good, which bikes have known issues. thanks for any advice.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Buy something that is model year 2004 and newer, if you can help it. The suspensions are much nicer. The Yamaha YZ250F is a pretty nice 4-stroke.

A suggestion is a good ol' Kawasaki KDX200, model year 2001 or newer. You can't go wrong with one of them.

Just dont go all nostalgia on a CR500 / KX500 / WR500 like I did. My bike pretty much kicked my butt on that last ride, and while I was panting and manhandling it, and kick-starting 500cc's with all the strength I had left, the other riders were smiling and waving on their little 125's, 200's, and 250's as they zipped past me.

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
I agree on the 125 2T or 250 4T. The 4T would be smoother power deliverance and may suit your wanting to stay on the cautious side better.

ulmanb

Jun 12, 2003
I would be leery of buying a new era 4-stroke for $1500. Lot of expensive parts to go bad in them.

With the crappy economy and the recent 4-stroke trend you can find a lot of really nice 2-strokes in the ballpark of $1500 (at least in michigan).

The hard part will be finding a bike that will suit you that will be comfy to ride slow with your nephew.

ulmanb

Jun 12, 2003
I loved my xr250, should have kept it. YOu can screw around and go slow with the kids and if ride it fast, it will teach you a lot. If I didnt have two bikes already, I would look for another.

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
_JOE_ said:
Find an older xr250.

I agree, I had a 2001 XR400 that had no problems at all and was great for putting with the kids or going pretty fast by myself or with friends. Everything I have read about the XR says they are very reliable and low maintenance.

Top Bottom