Getting frustrated with asterisk, check this out before you buy!

team bulldog

Apr 4, 2004
I've had the braces for a little over 2 years ( a very little), just out of the "WARRANTY STAGE".. I live in Michigan so I only maybe ride four months out of the year, light trail riding and I can count on one hand how many times braces have been wore in a enduro race. THESE THINGS ARE WORE OUT!!!.
Within the first six months all the material wore off the inside of the pads (kept glueing that). Then cables busted,I had to replace those (should of been a recall) which they provided.The whole time the straps that hold the patella cap on and the inside pads constantly braking, ( thank god for zip tys).
Plastic hing caps braking, (glueing those).paint wearing off, and finally the kicker, left side top frame broke at the hing. Now I 've tried to repair these braces myself to AVOID the $150.00 maintenance fee , but asterisk won't sell me the $75.00 frame. It has to be installed by a qualified tech ??
So I paid $570.00 (with shipping) for the braces
another $165.00( with shipping) for the maintenance fee
and $75.00 for the frame. A whopping total of $810.00 in two years. How much were those CTI's

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
I hear you man.... those Asterisk guys, I tell ya. Mine broke by the hinge too! Check it out, here are some pictures and my comments >>>> http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=76156

Seriously, who did you talk to at Asterisk? I have never even heard of them treating someone the way you have described. I have been wearing these braces since June of 2001 and stand by them because in my experience they have always stood by their product and the above link clearly illustrates that my leg, not just my knee, was saved by these braces.

team bulldog

Apr 4, 2004
I am really glad for ya Thump! I have never probably hit a table top or a 70 ft jump in my life and my brace frame still broke. I'm not saying that it is a bad product, I am just saying that with normal wear and tear, the braces seem to wear out quick for the money. I do not remember the name of the person that I recently spoke with and it really does not matter, I just don't understand why they won't sell the parts, I never asked for anything for free.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I have to admit that the knee protection/patellar cups attach in a less than desirable manner. I don't know what they are called, but the tabs that snap into the frame have always come out of mine and those straps on the side are close to spent. I have used mine for less than six months. The knee impact protection is real good when it stays snapped in place.

Other than that, I think they are great so far. I'm hoping for an update/redesign on the knee/patellar protection attachment before I have to buy another pair, but that is it.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
team bulldog said:
I do not remember the name of the person that I recently spoke with and it really does not matter.
Actually it does. I am going to try to help get this resolved. Was it a guy or a girl?

No matter the outcome here, braces wear out. They are not like a chest protector that will last for years and years. Even the CTi requires refurbishing. You should expect protection and qulity craftsmanship not a lifetime waranty.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Thump said:
Actually it does. I am going to try to help get this resolved. Was it a guy or a girl?

No matter the outcome here, braces wear out. They are not like a chest protector that will last for years and years. Even the CTi requires refurbishing. You should expect protection and qulity craftsmanship not a lifetime waranty.

I am a knee brace advocate. I wear another brand just because of a good deal on the popular auction site. I have been considering getting Asterisks. My good friend and riding buddy who is a doctor wears the Asterisks and he and I ride together at least once every 2 weeks and he hasn't experienced any of the problems you are talking about. Not sure what is going on there. Work with Thump and he may be able to help get your problems resolved.

My alternate brand have save me MANY times. In fact last week I got stitches just below my knee, and if I wasn't wearing my "other" brand I think it would have been much more than that. Give the Asterisk guys a chance. Too much protection is never enough in my opinion.

Randy

team bulldog

Apr 4, 2004
I agree with what everyone is saying ,and I was'nt trying to bash the company! I felt for as little use as I put one these braces you would think I wore them every day! I also feel they put a monopoly on the repair, they make you send them in for repair and maintenance ( at your expense), they wont sell parts , they have to be installed by a tech, Ive been maintaining these things since I bought them ! Am I not qualified ?. Its like buying car that you can't fix yourself , being forced to take it to the dealer ( at your expense)..I realize my knee's are important, Im just trying to avoid maintenance and shipping fees, get the parts,and make the repairs myself . Oh buy the way the person I talked to was a girl, She was not rude , she was just ohwell

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
I would think that with such a device there comes some liability. It is somewhat understandable that Asterisk would not want the average Joe making repairs and or modifications to the product if they are carrying a liability for the products proper operation. You maybe very apt at the repairs, others may not be.
I wear the braces and had a frame crack as well as a cuff that was in need of replacement, both Billy and the Asterisk team were very helpful & provided GREAT customer service. $147 later and they were as good as new. Nothing lasts forever, heck even the fuel in my bike needs to be replaced every so often. Give the Asterisk guys a chance

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
I spoke with them about sending you the parts so you could rebuild them yourself and they can not. The braces are not as simple as we think. Each brace is made up of 220 parts and many take specialized tools and a trained eye to be assembled. Neither Asterisk or myself are doubting your ability to make the repairs properly, but it is a liability not only to them but to you as well.

I wish I had better news but repairs must be done in house per Asterisks' SOPs. If you want just the frame replaced it will be $75 or get them fully refurbished for an additional $150.

team bulldog

Apr 4, 2004
thanx thump

thanx thump! sent'em in. $ 225.00 bucks for the frame and refurb. It hurts, but I guess i gotta get it done. Hey those things are damm important, rode without em last weekend and realized how important. Almost hyperextented, still sore, so I'll stop whinning , Hey I did'nt know that C T I 2s

gonzo843

May 24, 2004
I busted the hinge and just talked to tom carson and red bud and he hooked me up for free on the spot. I dont know why your having such difficulties with them.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
gonzo843 said:
I busted the hinge and just talked to tom carson and red bud and he hooked me up for free on the spot. I dont know why your having such difficulties with them.
That is more typical of the service Asterisk provides.

millwright

Aug 23, 2001
I just broke the inside of my right brace where the cup padding snaps in place. The carbon portion of the brace popped out.I must add that this took place after a huge direct impact that would have most certainly resulted in a shattered knee cap had I not been wearing braces.
After reading these post I'm not looking forward to dealing with asterisk

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Well, since I am broke, soon to be divorced, and have not had the chance to ride more than 3 times since DW, I can not justify the purchase of these things. But I assure you, when the time comes that I am able to do it, I will. Simply because of what I saw at DW last year. I will leave out the names to protect the innocent....

I was walking along with a more prominant member of DRN, what he was doing hanging out with me, I don't know. We walked past an RV where there was this fella sitting who happened to be a big shot for Astrisk. The guy I was with stopped and made mention of the fact that his braces did not seem to fit right. So the guy looks at them and says, "well you have the wrong size" and promptly traded him the correct size. Brand new, right out of the box. Then he proceded to sit there and show him the proper way to set everything up and use them to the best of their designed purpose. I seriously doubt that you will ever see customer service like that out of most other companies in this world, let alone from the big shot himself.

So, one day I will have money again, and ride again.....hell I might even be married again.....riiiiiiight. And when that happens, they will have one more customers.

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
I recently purchased a set of Asterik braces for the wife and while tightening them up the screw stripped out, She put the braces on anyway and we started to ride, after just a few minutes she had to remove them because they were to cumbersome.

She was unable to shift her bike or hit the brakes properly, i believe that most of this comes with inexperience to riding but they are awfully big. just wish they could make them a little thinner.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
ironworker said:
but they are awfully big. just wish they could make them a little thinner.

ironworker.

Actually they are thinner than most. I tried several other brands before getting the Asterisks and they all were way too bulky. They made my gas tank feel like it was 3 feet wide.

It only took two rides to become comfortable with the Asterisk braces and now I even wear them when trail riding. Doesn't feel right without them now.

They have paid for themselves several times over and the service that I recieved from the people at Asterisk has been great. :cool:

Just my $ .02

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
ironworker said:
I recently purchased a set of Asterik braces for the wife and while tightening them up the screw stripped out, She put the braces on anyway and we started to ride, after just a few minutes she had to remove them because they were to cumbersome.

She was unable to shift her bike or hit the brakes properly, i believe that most of this comes with inexperience to riding but they are awfully big. just wish they could make them a little thinner.
It took me quite a while to get used to them--a few weeks. But after 2 ACL reconstructs, one on each leg (only one moto-related), they are indispensable. I will not ride without them. And tell her to keep trying--they will wear in.

As for wear and tear, I've had my braces for 3 years now and they're a bit overdue for an overhaul. I think they've held up admirably. Only complaint really is about the straps that hold the kneecap part on--the ones with snaps don't stay snapped, and the ones above and below are worn out and been replaced with zip ties. Oh well. No big deal, especially when my bike (which cost far more) has so many zip ties and so much safety wire on it.

team bulldog

Apr 4, 2004
So I paid $570.00 (with shipping) for the braces
another $165.00( with shipping) for the maintenance fee
and $75.00 for the frame. A whopping total of $810.00 in two years. How much were those CTI's
To conclude from the very first posting, I sent them out for the $165.00 maintenance , Rode with them one time . Broke again!, they cracked around the calf protector. forget it!, there is to many other companies making knee braces

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
The only time I broke one is when I ran into a log wired horzontally across two trees with a battering ram type point sticking out into the trail. The brace took the full impact as opposed to the outer side of my left knee. Good thing is my knee didn't break or tear.

My broken pair got lost in the mail so Asterisk sent a new pair for the cost of repairing the old ones. Sounded good to me.

Let us know how the other brands work for you.

cr125boy

Jan 24, 2003
i fell and hit my footpeg with my knee when i was riding and ripped my pants and broke a peice on the asterisk (the other topic made decribes it more), and if i wasnt wearing a knee brace.. my knee would be pretty messed up right now. but i didnt even realize it until i was putting the pants in the washer :)
-thank you asterisk

Last edited:

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I am the proud "non owner" of MCLs on either knee, so knee braces are part of my routine. I have looked at the Cells and am impressed with price to quality ratio. However, my doc could not help me with insurance coverage on them, so currently I am using a custom CTI2 and a custom DonJoy. Both have performed great, but the knee cap protection is not near as good as on the cells.
When these brake and its time to get new (and I have to pay for them), I will give the cells a shot.
BTW, if you would like to experience bad customer service, try to get your CTI's fixed....thats a sure road to disaster, but thats another story

Top Bottom