Getting new Bars & Handguard combo...whats the best setup?

JKPinPDX

Sep 29, 2003
I have a stone stock 04 KDX 220r. It seems like the bars are "off" and from what I hear/read they bend easily...

So my question is in your opinion what is a good setup up for new bars/grips/handguard setup that I should have to replace the stock stuff.

I have seen fat bars, diff. angles... clamps...etc...

I just want a real good set of bars that wont bend easily and grips and handguards while im at it...

Should I get a new METAL throttle to reaplace the plastic one?

Thanks everyone! :thumb:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I bought an inexpensive set of Fly aluminum bars, only to find they bend just as easily as the stock bars did...

...until, I bought a set of aluminum barkbusters! They really added a lot of strength to those bars. I've hit trees, stumps, boulders and plain old hard pan dirt, going at pretty good speeds without doing very much damage at all to the bars.

Sure, I've tweaked 'em some. What can you expect when you clip a tree wide open in third gear? :eek:

For grips, I use OURY grips. They are nice and cushy!

I bought the Pro Taper barkbusters used, I found 'em on ebay for under $20

I also use Fasst Anti-Vibration Bar Inserts

bh

Nov 26, 2001
I've got the cheap MSR bars with Moose handguards. Works really good. I've taken some hard hits and haven't bent the bars yet. The handguards did get bent once but that was when my brother pushed my bike over on concrete.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
If you're putting on barkbusters, I'd replace the plastic throttle tube with an aluminum one at the same time. With the end of the tube cut off, the metal will will be stronger and flex less.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Don't know if it's the best but I went with Renthal 7/8" bars, Answer Barkbusters, Works Performance aluminum throttle tube and cut the end off, and Renthal hard grips. Since I cut the ends off of the grips, I also glued and safety-wired them on (belt & suspenders :-)) The Renthals are a lot lighter; still even feels lighter than stock bars with the bark busters. Also swapped to Scotts cones and Scotts one-piece barclamp.

Best,
Greg

Last edited:

jpm200

Aug 15, 2002
I'd recommend the aussie made barkbuster handguards. They have a new inner mount available that attaches to the top triple clamp. Removing clutter from the bars and providing better strength. Not sure if they are marketed in the US though

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Just make sure your barkbuster/handguards use solid metal inserts, the rubber inserts suck and allow flex. I enured several crashes on my stock bars, only after me bailing after lofting myself off a 12 ft cliff, did I bend them. I just went out and bought another $16 set of bars, and if I crash hard, I'd gladly replacve the $16 bars, knowing that It could have been $116 bars..

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
I bought CR High Bend Fatbars for about 75$

Dont think its worth it for these?... listen to this, and youll be thinking again...

I pu ton my New renthal fatbars, and my tag clamps for the MX race the next day.

Well... long story short... I wiped out in the mudrace on the triple (cased really bad), smashed my radiator, (its like half the size now, but thankfully, no leaks), bent my clutch lever, and bent my bar MOUNT!!! The 1 thing that didnt bend a millimeter were my renthal fatbars... to me they were worth the money. :thumb:

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
KDXFreestyle said:
I bought CR High Bend Fatbars for about 75$

Those CR High Bend Fatbars are worth their weight in gold. They (at least to me) seem far stronger and much more conductive to a standing position than the stock bars.

-Maurice

Top Bottom